This morning, there were several news stories about Elizabeth Edwards and her battle with cancer. The reports were that doctors had told her there was nothing else they could do and that the end was near.
I couldn't help but think about her through much of the day. This was coming on the heels of what has been a difficult few weeks for our family. I have to admit there have been a couple of times where I've wished I could place an order for the "easy" trial. There have been a few moments where I was sure my legs wouldn't take me where I needed to go or times where I couldn't imagine how I would make it through the next few hours or days. And yet somehow I did. Heavenly Father granted me the strength I needed to do what needed to be done.
And today I thought about another mother. One who faced a battle that she knew she wouldn't win. She didn't really have a time table for how much time she would have, but there was a limit and her time would be cut short. She had young children and grown children, and she wouldn't be around to see them grow up or get married or raise their families. As a mother, I can't imagine what she must have thought and how she must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine the ache in her heart. Not only that, but through what must surely be one of the most difficult times in her life, the person who should have been by her side, left her to fight this battle alone. And tonight I saw the news that she had passed away.
I didn't have to look very far to find someone who made me grateful for my own trials. Tonight I am grateful that I am able to tuck my four sweet children into bed. I'm thankful to know that the one I won't be tucking into bed is safe and whole and being watched over, too. I'm thankful for a husband who has stood by my side through everything these last few weeks. He has been my strength when mine seemed exhausted and has never once wavered in his love and support. I cannot imagine how different this situation would have been without him and without his faithfulness.
This time may not be easy for me, but tonight that's okay. And I'm praying that the One who has watched over me, is watching over another family who has suffered such a great loss.
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago

4 rays of sunshine:
Good thoughts and perspective.
I guess it is because as a mother, I can imagine how hard all this was for her, because tonight when I heard that she had passed away, I just sobbed and sobbed for all that her family had lost and all that she would never be able to experience with them in this life. She was a great example of strength through trials, and you are so right in all of your observations of her...you're a great example to all of us too, Kristen.
This was very moving, and very powerful. Thank you.
Great post kristen. Glad that you are getting through this tough time. I pray you're feeling OK and that you keep having such wonderful perspective on things. There will be times that you won't of course but you are amazing and know that lots of people think you are just that- amazing!
Post a Comment