Friday, April 30, 2010

Please return...

If anyone finds my brain lying around somewhere, will you please get it back to me?  Clearly it isn't with me anymore.

Now that Elise is eight, she meets with the other girls her age at the church for activities a couple of times a month.  At her last meeting she brought home a flyer announcing a talent show coming up.  It was only a few hours before time for her activity to start this week, when we suddenly wondered if it was the talent show night.  I looked at the flyer and realized it was, indeed, that night.  In reading over the flyer I realized it was for families and that we were supposed to bring refreshments.  So my already hectic night just got a little more hectic.  I threw some cupcakes in the oven and told Elise to practice her piano number for the talent show.  I glanced back over at the flyer again and realized I'd misread at least one part.  It said, "Bring Your Family.  Refreshments will be Served."  Ah ha.  So, (too late) I realized that we'd have 24 extra cupcakes hanging around the house, since they were providing the refreshments.  The only thing I had to bring was my family.  I glanced at the flyer at least once more, double checking the information.  When we arrived at the church, I found out the talent show was actually going to be at the end of May, as was clearly stated on the flyer I had looked at no less than 5 times.  Good grief.  I'd made my night more hectic for nothing.

When Elise came back home after the activity, she asked if I was embarrassed at having gotten so much of the information wrong about the activity.  I thought for a minute.  "No," I told her, "I'm not embarrassed.  Exasperated, maybe, but not embarrassed."  She admitted that she thought it was a little embarrassing. :)  I thought how lucky she is to be such a sweet, innocent child, that getting a few (or all) the details wrong about something was a big enough deal to get embarrassed about.  And then I thought how lucky I am, to have wizened up and already experienced enough of life to realize that getting the information wrong about an activity is really not a big deal at all.  Lucky us.

But seriously.  I really do need my brain back.

3 rays of sunshine:

Unknown said...

Take mine. I've found that it is of no use to me lately

Amanda said...

I feel for you girl. I think once you deliver your fourth kids they take your brain. Your dad's comment cracks me up.

sj said...

This is all too familiar for me! :) You handled the situation with such a good attitude, though!