Tuesday, May 17, 2011

One Year Older and Wiser, Too!

This past weekend, I rang in another birthday.  Thirty-one years, to be exact.  And what a fun birthday this was!

We really started the celebration much earlier than Saturday, as I got to open present from my parents when they were down for Mother's Day.  And then my cute little family let me open a little present every day the week before my birthday.  Cory was so sweet and thoughtful, and always is.  He does a great job choosing presents I'll like and even wraps them in pretty paper.  Then on Friday, a couple of my siblings came over for dinner and dessert.  I also got sweet and thoughtful gifts from them.

I stayed up visiting with my brother Ethan and my sister-in-law, Lois on Friday night and was awake at midnight to actually ring in my birthday.  I was born at 2:18 a.m., and thankfully was NOT awake to celebrate that milestone. :)  My family let me sleep in on Saturday morning, Cory cooked breakfast and then we took it easy until the Scotty party.  That night, my sweet sister-in-law baby-sat our kids so Cory could take me out to dinner and a little birthday shopping.  A date with my sweetheart was probably the best gift I got this year, so a big shout-out to all those who made it possible. :)

Its a tradition around our house to blow out the exact number of candles for your age.  I've never missed a year, even when we had to get creative--like the year I turned 23.


This year was no exception.  After coming home from our date, we lit candles on the last 2 pieces of cheesecake.

Yes, when you cram 31 candle onto two pieces of cheesecake, it gets a little out of control. :)

And by the time the nightly routine was over, I was awake to send my birthday off for another year.

As I reflected back on this last year, since I turned 30, I thought about all the different things that have occurred.  I was reminded of a letter Sister Hinckley (oh, how I LOVE her!!!) wrote to some of her family members.  She said,

"Dear Ones,
Dad talked with you this morning and we gather that these are rather stressful days for you, but even this will pass away and the lessons learned will be a future blessing.  There are some years in our lives that we would not want to live again.  "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many, but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days".  End of sermon.  You are loved.
M"

I'm not sure I would live this year over again if I could.  Parts of it, maybe.  But mostly, I'm glad I survived it.  And even though it was tough, I wouldn't trade the lessons I've learned for anything in the world.  I truly have been made a better person because of them.

And now, on to make 31 the best year yet. :)

0 rays of sunshine: