Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day

I love, love, love being a Mother.  I love my children who bring me so much happiness and joy.  I love the way Motherhood stretches me beyond my capacity and causes me to grow in ways I never could have imagined.  I love how just when I feel like I've reached my breaking point, I feel a miracle happen as heavenly help comes and lifts me up and carries me through.  I love being part of the miracle of forgiveness, for when I mess up, the quick and heartfelt forgiveness that comes from my family amazes me.  I love the laughter we share in a family.  I love the fun times we have together.  I love the bonds that we share.  I love snuggling with my children, kissing them goodnight and hearing them tell me they love me.  I LOVE being a mother--their mother.


On Mother's Day, though, although I appreciate all the sweet things my children and husband do for me, I love the time to honor my mom as well.  She is a wonderful, beautiful person who is everything someone could hope for in a Mother.  I feel her influence daily as I raise my children and apply the values she instilled in me as a child that have continued to shape and guide my life.  I think about the words of Elder Jeffery R. Holland: "Mothers, we acknowledge and esteem your faith in every footstep. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever."  I can only speak for myself, but I hope my mom knows how much I believe these words and am so grateful for her living her life with faith in every footstep.  

This Mother's Day was destined to be a difficult one for all of us, but most especially for my mom.  Mother's Day marked one month to the day since her Mother, my sweet Grandmother, returned Home.  Mother's Day takes on a different meaning when your Mom is in Heaven.  So there was sadness, but also gratitude for the life my Grandma lived and the love she shared. 

So with those things in mind, I had begun thinking about what gift I might be able to give to my Mom.  And in one of those little moments of inspiration, I knew the perfect gift.  Several years ago, my grandma gave me a quilt top she had made years before.  She had made quite a few quilts in her lifetime and this was one of the last tops she had made.  She knew she wasn't going to ever put it together into a quilt, but she knew I enjoyed sewing and had even made a quilt on occasion, so she gave it to me to put together.  But small children and a  busy life left me putting the project on hold.  Until this year.  

So after picking a cute fabric to go with the top, and putting the whole thing together, I finally had it ready for my Mom's Mother's Day gift.  A quilt sewn with love by her Mother and her Daughter.

 So here was the big reveal, as my mom pulled the blanket out of the bag.  ( I know she will hate these pictures, as she tries to avoid being photographed like the plague.  But she's my mom and I think she's beautiful no matter what.  And since I've had more than my fair share of pictures taken of me with a mouthful of food or a 9-month pregnancy picture taken at the beach from behind, I'm pretty sure we can consider us even. :))

Cory and I wondered if she'd recognize the quilt top when she saw it and we both felt like she would.  I think its safe to say we were right. :)

 It was a blessing for me to be a part of putting this gift together.  I love you, Mama.  Happy Mother's Day.

And my awesome brother, Ethan, used his amazing art skills and made an beautiful picture of my Grandma using words and quotes that describe her.

Yes, simply amazing. 

 I don't think in just one day or with just one gift you can adequately say "Thank You" for the love of a wonderful Mother.  So I hope that she knows, not just on this day, but everyday, how much we love her.

7 rays of sunshine:

Heather Macbeth said...

What a beautiful post! That was such a sweet idea for your own mother. I was literally looking at the picture of your mom wondering why you decided to post a picture of your sister. Then I read further and smacked my head! Your mom looks great! And I love love love love love the first picture of you with your kids. So sweet.

sj said...

And just when you think, "how can there possibly be any tears left to cry?" it hits you again. (And I guess I really did know there are many tears left.) I didn't see it coming when I started your reading your post, didn't realize where it was going...and then it was too late...the waterworks started and I had to grab the tissues. All I can say is thank you - thank you for the wonderful gifts and for the kind and tender words. I understand your sentiments about being a mother - I love it, too...more than I can express. I'm not good with words like you are, but my heart is there. I am so grateful for my own mother and for being a mother to my children. I love you all so much. And thanks again for the precious gifts on Mother's Day. I will treasure them always.

sj said...

Just read the first comment, and bless your sweet heart for saying that. :)

And Kristen, thank you again for everything. I am so blessed to have you for a daughter. You bless my life in so many ways. I love you so much.

Anonymous said...

Such sweet words and beautiful gifts :)

Susan said...

Those are amazing presents you guys had for your mom, and it looks like she really enjoyed them. I always love your perspective on being a mother. This was a great post!

Susan said...

Those are amazing presents you guys had for your mom, and it looks like she really enjoyed them. I always love your perspective on being a mother. This was a great post!

sj said...

I made comments previously, but we think they disappeared when blogger went down. Just let me say that I have the best, most wonderful, thoughtful children and I love them all so much. Thanks for everything.