Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Its Been a Decade

Why do babies grow up so fast?  Why does it feel like you give birth, blink, and find you're looking straight in the eyes of a 10-year old?  I can't seem to find the words to express how it feels to watch your child grow up.

Raising a child is the most difficult, exhausting, back-breaking work I know of.  You put your very heart and soul into everything you do.  And then you have these moments where you stand back and look and you get a glimpse of the fruits of your labor.  And you're in awe of this amazing, beautiful creature that you had some small part of helping shape into the person they are.  And you want to cry at the miracle of it.  And then your heart breaks because you realize they are just going to grow up and leave you to find their own way in the world.  And that is what you want for them.  And yet still, there is a part of you that longs for the innocent, carefree days of their infant- and toddler-hood.  Where a kiss made everything better and realizing that you can jump over a crack in the sidewalk is the most exciting discovery of the day.

So now I am the mother to a 10-year-old.  A whole decade old.  She's now been living in our house, with our family, for more years than she has left before leaving home.  And I am amazed at the person Elise is turning out to be.  But I can't help but shake my head and wonder where the time has gone.

But even with all that said, I wouldn't want it any other way.  So in true Barnett Birthday fashion, we celebrated.  Because 10 years is really something wonderful to celebrate.

 She started off the day by looking super cute.  Although that's a pretty regular occurrence. :)

 She also got to open some fun presents that we had fun picking out.


 She had all her family nearby, for fun celebrating.  And who were almost as excited as the birthday girl herself about the presents. :)

 She chose a yummy birthday meal of corn on the cob, garlic green beans, seven layer salad, and I included chicken suisas sammies so we'd have a main dish. :)

And Grandma's apple pie for dessert!!  And of course, the Happy Birthday song, with a little help from the ringtone on the cell phone thanks to Merry Grace. :)  We like to keep things interesting around here.

Elise also requested that she and I go to some yard sales on Saturday morning.  So we got up early, grabbed a biscuit and hit some yard sales.  We ended up with a few treasures from the morning run and mostly just had fun being together.


On Saturday, we got the extended family together for another party, this time at the park.  It was a nice evening to let the kids play and honor Elise with a birthday celebration.  Unfortunately, by that time I was completely exhausted, and didn't manage to take a single picture.  My mom did slightly better by taking this one of my Dad and my sweet little niece, Ella.

We did take a video of the Birthday song and blowing out the candles.  Although, as you can see, Elise either used her mind powers to blow them out or we got a little help from the wind. :)

So Happy Birthday to a wonderful daughter who blesses our lives in more ways than I can name.  I love you. :)

3 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

I agree, Elise is wonderful! She is such a good girl, so sweet and kind and helpful. And I get the whole "blink" thing. It seems I blinked and all of a sudden my children were grown up. Happy Birthday again to Elise! Love her and all of you so much!

Unknown said...

What a great post... and what a patient girl Elise is! That mind control thing is amazing!

Susan said...

Happy birthday, Elise!