Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mischief

The kids, some of the anyway, have been up to some mischief recently.


The other day, I looked in the pantry and lying on top of one of my canisters was a pencil.  That's a little odd, I thought.  Then, as I reached for baking powder, I noticed a hole in my bag of self-rising flour.  Flour was starting to seep out--out of a hole about the size of a pencil.  I glanced around and saw a hole in my bag of sugar.  Two holes in the bag of powdered sugar.  A hole in the brown sugar.  All the size of a pencil.

So I went to the kids and asked, "Did anyone take a pencil and poke holes in all the baking ingredients in the pantry?"  Ian's guilty, but proud look said it all.  Yes, someone did that.  And yes, I knew who did.

I was wiping down the walls in the hall one night this week.  I noticed right outside Elise's door, above the chair rail, in light pencil the name, "IAN."  Then, a minute later, on the other side of the hall, right above the chair rail, in light purple chalk, "IAN IAN IAN IAN IAN".  All total, I found about 15 instances of Ian's name written in the hall.  Fortunately, he used very easily erased writing utensils.  Unlike Paige who apparently uses only ink pens and permanent markers.

Ian has been studying bats in school.  
Conversation about bats:
Ian:  I wish I was a bat.
Me:  But then you couldn't be my son.  I don't really want a bat for a son.
Ian:  Oh, I want us all to be bats.
Me:  Well, I guess that wouldn't be so bad, if we were all bats.
Ian:  Yes.  Then we could all use echolocation.
*pause*
Elise:  I don't want to be a bat.
Merry Grace:  I want to be a bat.  I would fly to Grammy and Papa's house instead of riding in a car.
*pause*
Ian:  Bats only fly when its dark.  They sleep when its light outside.
Merry Grace:  If I were a bat, I could sleep in the freezer.
*what?!*
Ian:  If we were a family of bats, maybe we could all migrate.  We'd probably go to Mexico or Texas.

As I've mentioned, Elise and Ian have been playing Fall Baseball/Softball.  We're getting to the end of the season.  We've enjoyed it, but we are ready for the break of not having to go. :)  Some more-so than others.  The other night  as we were getting ready for ball games (both Elise and Ian had one) we couldn't find Ian's ball shirt.  Cory spent over 20 minutes going through all the clean and dirty laundry, plus looking in all the random places he could think of.  Finally, with no success, we gave up and just skipped his game.  The very next night he had another game.  After another lengthy search, there was still no shirt to be found.  So, not wanting to miss another game, we just sent him in a regular shirt.  On the way to the game, Cory got to wondering if perhaps Ian knew more about the shirt than he had let on.  At first there were denials.  But at long last, he admitted that he had hidden it under his bed near the air vent.  Sure enough, that's exactly where we found it.  What a rascal! :)

What fun those kids are, even when they are being rascals. :)


1 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

I love reading about all the cute things going on in your household. Give the cute rascals a hug for me. And tell Merry Grace I think that's so sweet that she'd like to fly to Grammy and Papa's house. If I see a bat outside.... :)