Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Maid is Gone

Somewhere over the last few months, my kids have come to think of me as a maid.  And somewhere along the way, I let them believe that.  I'm not sure exactly how it happened because I've always been pretty good about getting them to help out, but it did and it has.  I think there were times it was easier to do things myself.  But whatever the case may be, yesterday, the maid moved out and Mom moved back in.  Things are definitely going to be shaken up a bit.  Don't get me wrong, the kids are really good to pitch in and help out when I ask them.  Its just that they've started making messes that I know they have no intention of cleaning up.  And if they did, it would never have been made in the first place.   We'll see how it goes.  It may be a rude awakening for everyone for a few days, but its been too long coming.   For example, yesterday while I laid baby Paige down for a nap, Merry Grace got a half a bag of tortilla chips out of the pantry and dumped them out onto the ottoman (and the floor) in the living room.  First of all, we don't allow food in the living room.  Second of all, no matter where you might be eating, its never okay to just randomly dump the bag out.  Instead of just vacuuming it up myself, which before yesterday I probably would have done, and instead of completely going berserk (which I was sorely tempted to do), I had Merry Grace (and Ian-who was an accomplice) clean the entire mess up.  And they did.  It took a while, but they did it.  Then last night I had the kids help out in a couple of places--Elise loaded the dishwasher and Ian scrubbed the tub.  Can I just say that he did a great job?!  Elise did too, of course, but I was surprised by how much fun Ian had with the tub.  He even enjoyed it so much he offered to clean my shower too.  And he did!!!  So we're off to a rolling start.  Hopefully it will go well, because the maid is not moving back in anytime soon.

5 rays of sunshine:

Kory said...

good luck girl! CJ tells us all the time to clean her room for her, or pick up something SHE dropped. um, no. you made the mess, you clean it up!!!

Susan said...

Hey, now that you mention it, I think this maid needs a little vacation, too. =)

My kids actually like doing the big cleaning things like showers and mirrors and mopping. It's getting them to do things like put their dirty clothes in the laundry basket that seems to be more painful than pulling teeth.

Carolina girl said...

The maid is MIA over here too, and boy is my house showing it. I can't even stand to go in the girls room because it is such a mess. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance trying to take care of the house and baby surviving on so little sleep. I think the only way it's all going to get done is if I start enlisting help as well. The problem is that Aaron is better at enlisting and motivating the girls to help and he had a crazy busy week last week and another one this week--he's only going to be home one night this week. And mom and dad are coming next week. Hopefully they'll still love me even though they might have to pick up some things just so they can get in the house.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.....just might take your advice! Good luck!

Bonnie said...

I think most moms have this problem. Cherre emailed me a page from a parenting book she is reading and it tells when kids are ready to do what. it even has them making their own doc. appointments at a certain age.My kids are OK at cleaning. they will do it only after the 1,000 time they are asked. but I like things done my way so that complicates things a little.