Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Watch out, Dasher

We had to run several errands today and were in the car for longer than usual.  Merry Grace had Christmas on her mind.  We sang "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" over and over.  I guess the songs led to her thinking about reindeer and such, and so we had the following conversation:

Merry Grace: (pleading)  "Mommy, can we please keep one of Santa's reindeer?"
Me: (puzzled and intrigued) "Keep one of Santa's reindeer?  I don't think so sweetie.  How would Santa fly his sleigh?
Merry Grace: (stating the obvious) "Not all of Santa's reindeer.  Just one.  You know, only one."
Me: "Well, where would we keep him?"
Merry Grace: (having already thought this through) "We could go to the store and get a cage and keep him in that and not let him out.  If we let him out, he would fly away, so we couldn't let him get out."
Me: (realizing there was quite a bit more thought involved than I previously thought) "Well, what would we feed him?"
Merry Grace: "I think we could just feed him dog food and kitty food.  Or maybe cereal and milk.  Or chocolate chip cookies and carrots with ranch dressing.  I think he would like that."

So, watch out, Dasher.  There is a nefarious plot in place to trap you in a cage in our yard.  I would recommend staying on the roof, no matter how appealing the carrots and cookies in the back yard look.

1 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

Haha! That Merry Grace is sure cute! I remember the glittery reindeer food we sprinkled out in the yard and the reindeer antlers we discovered by the chimney! Good times!