On Monday, I made a Strawberry Sonker for Family Home Evening refreshments. I had made a peach one at Cory's mom's over the weekend that was pretty yummy, and decided another one was in order. The kids were pretty excited about it, especially with that aroma of sugar and berries wafting around the kitchen. I haven't made one in a while before this weekend, since I usually make them in the spring and summer when fruit is more "in season." So it came out of the oven and I dished up plates for everyone. I looked over at the table in time to see Ian take a bite and quickly make a frowny face. "Ian, didn't you like it?" He paused for a second, looked around and then said, "No. It wasn't very good." "Oh really," I said. "That's too bad." He didn't say anything for another minute and then broke the silence with, "It really tastes like strawberry throw up." I just couldn't keep from laughing. I, in no way, thought it tasted like strawberry throw up. And never in a million years would I have imagined it being described in such disgustingly graphic terms. At least now I know when I make sonker there will just be more for me. :)
And now, after that glowing review, should you decide you want to give it a try, here's the recipe. And, just for the record, everyone like it but Ian and Merry Grace. So I think the odds are in my favor.
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago

6 rays of sunshine:
I have been trying to remember what you called this! Thank you! I call it cobbler, for what it's worth. i think everyone would give me a dumbfounded stare if I said sonker around here.
Strawberry is divine.
I'm so glad it was such a hit, Kristen. Next time just freeze his portion till I can visit. I'll give a better review! That was precious!!
Lisa, apparently the name "sonker" is unique to where I grew up. Here's a link that tells a little about it, when you click on it, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
Sonker Information
Funny story. We like sonkers - strawberry, peach, apple, blueberry, blackberry, sweet potato, etc. Good stuff.
That sounds soooo good! I would love some right now. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll put it in my file of keepers.
I have had your strawberry sonker before and I know it in no way taste like throw it. It's delicious. Next time just send me his share.
Post a Comment