Thursday, February 25, 2010

Learning and Remembering

The kids all have pictures of family in their rooms, and after Cory's dad passed away in November, specifically requested pictures of Pa.  The other day, Paige was "helping" me straighten up a few things in Ian's room, and she noticed the pictures Ian had on his nightstand.  She walked over and picked up a picture of Pa with his arms around Elise and Ian.  She looked at it for a minute and started pointing at Pa.  For just a minute, I was hit with a wave of sadness to realize that she never really got the chance to have any memories with her grandpa.  I felt like as she looked at that picture, that I was introducing her to someone she really didn't know yet.  And just as quickly, I realized that it was up to me to make sure she came to know him.  So I told her, "Oh, sweetie.  That's Pa.  Can you say 'Pa'?"  She babbled in baby talk for a minute and then said, "Pa."   For several minutes she looked at his picture, pointed to it, and said "Pa" several times.





My heart hurts to know that he is gone and that she won't have the chance to get peanuts out of his blue cooler when he visits, write on the notepad he keeps in his pocket or have him pull her up to sit on his lap.  But we will tell her stories about him.  We will sing the songs he sang to his children.  We will remember him.  And we will give her our memories of him.  And through those, she will know him.  Both my grandfathers passed away before I turned three, so I didn't have much time with them in this life.  But my parents kept them alive for me.  They talked about them often, told me stories about them and shared their memories of them with me.  And I feel close to both of them, as if I'd had much longer to spend with them than I did.  I feel like I know them.  Because, in a way I do.  And most importantly, I love them and I know they love me too.  And I know that Paige will know and love her Grandpa too.  In fact, she's already starting to. I am so thankful that families are forever.

5 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

Very sweet and tender. It is good to know that those we love live on in our hearts and in our memories.

Bonnie said...

thank you for your post. I have struggled since Irwin's parents passed. I wanted my kids to know them and how much I loved them. Thanks for reminding me that they can still know them and what I loved most about them.
I love reading your blog. There is always that one little thing that you talk about that makes me think about things in a brighter light.

Kristen said...

That is so sweet, Bonnie. Thank you for saying that. It sounds like his parents must have been really wonderful.

Carolina girl said...

It makes me sad too to think about Paige, Charlie, John David, Parker, and the grandkids yet to come that will have no memories of Daddy. But you are so right, that we have to make sure they know him through our memories. What a sweet post.

Amanda said...

That is so sweet. I know Grandy is so happy that you're making sure they know and remember him.