Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentines

Last Friday was the annual Valentine's Party for the kids at school.  So we spent Thursday evening making Valentine's they could take to class.  Ian drew a heart and wrote his name on each one, then I wrote the message he had for each classmate.  I thought what he wrote was so cute.  Almost every boy's valentine related to running.  I guess that's what impresses Ian most.  Most of them were talking about what a great runner each friend was.  I had to edit a couple of the ones he dictated.  For example: "Dear _______,  You are a good runner.  But you get tired sometimes.  So when you get tired you walk and don't run.  You are a good friend."  Or another favorite of mine: "Dear ________, You like to run.  When you run you are not always the last person.  Sometimes you are, but not always.  I like playing with you."  So I left a few parts of those out and just wrote the good parts. :)  It was all I could do to keep from laughing, though.



Apparently this little boy is the one to beat at running. Sometimes Ian beats him, but not always.  When he does, he's pretty excited.

This little girl is his best friend.  I think coming from a family of sisters, he really enjoys playing with the girls in his class.  :)

This little boy is also a good runner, apparently.  Right up there with the best of them.  I had so much fun working on these Valentines.

Elise also wrote out valentine's to each of her classmates.  Her teacher had asked that they just sign their names to the cards and not write them out to each person to make the passing out part easier.  Elise was not on board with this plan and insisted on writing a note to each person in her class.  She didn't have a class list to go by and when I asked whether she'd be able to remember each person, she gave me a look of utter disbelief and told me, "I can easily remember every person.  I know exactly where they sit."  And remember she did.  She even found something nice to say about several of the "annoying boys" in her class.  I would have taken pictures of her cards too, but she was on the ball and already had them packed up and ready to go when I decided to get out the camera. :)

Even though it was a lot of work to make them and get them ready, we had such a great time working on them together and when they came home the next afternoon with tons of candy, they thought it was worth it too. :)

3 rays of sunshine:

Carolina girl said...

Ian's valentine's totally crack me up! I was thinking about what my valentine from him would say. "Dear Aunt Lynetta, You are not a very fast runner. Most people I know can run faster than you. But you are still a good friend. Love, Ian" I'm pretty sure it would be similar to that. hee hee :)

Kristen said...

Haha!!! That's hilarious. :) I think mine would say, "Dear Mommy, When we run, I beat you. But not EVERY time, just most times. I love you. Love, Ian."

sj said...

I love that you all made valentines and wrote in them. Nice, sweet, and from the heart. So cute, too.