The boys (this time meaning Cory and his brothers) worked to get a hole for the stone.
I was touched at how everyone (even the children) pitched in to help. They took time to get it even and "just so" and then brushed the dirt off the top so it would look nice and clean. It was a tender thing to see Russell's family performing this service for him.
I think proper cemetery etiquette requires that you not step or walk on someone's grave. I don't think any of the kids have heard this requirement and flatly refuse to comply. Their favorite thing to do is to sit down around the grave and play in the sand. Some of them were writing their names, some of them wanted to smooth the dirt down and make it "pretty", and Charles Allen buried one of his Chuck E Cheese cards for "Grandy." While some may not approve of this behavior, I think it is wonderful. I feel sure Pa loves knowing that his grandkids still love being near him. Its still hard sometimes, knowing that he's not right here with us, the way we'd like. But seeing the kids, so full of life, energy and love, takes some of the hurt and pain out of being at the grave site. It seems so much more warm and approachable with the kids playing around. Its part of what makes Russell's spirit seem closer.
Before we left, we sang "Sixpence" in Russell's honor. The last time we were all gathered there, it was the first time most of us had been back to his grave since the funeral. It was a cold, gray, wet day and we sang (or tried to sing) that song. There was hardly a dry eye by the time we got done and several hearts were breaking. Many of the girls continued to cry long after we'd gone back to the house. This time was much better. The day was bright and sunny and warm and we were able to sing the song with love and happiness.
Before we left, we had all the children climb in the back of Pa's truck and take a picture. This is one of those pictures that is worth a thousand words to me. I can't decide if my heart is swelling or breaking when I look at this picture. But I love it and I love all those sweet faces looking back at me.


3 rays of sunshine:
Sweet memories.
That is so sweet. I love it that they "played" with Grandy too. Children are just so pure and loving. Thanks for the post.
Four months later and it's still hard to believe that he's not here anymore. I wish we could have been there. Thanks for sharing the memories and pictures of the day. I may borrow them for my blog, if that's okay. :)
Post a Comment