Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where do my kids get their sense of fashion from?

If you either know us at all or are avid readers of this blog, there has been a consistent issue with my kids having their own sense of style. It began with Elise who mixes, matches and pairs any random thing together that she wants to and thinks she looks marvelous. Then along came Ian, who doesn't give a flying flip what is stained or not, what matches or not, what looks nice or not. He has his favorite shirts (stained, worn out, but something he loves) and pants (not jeans and that are in a similar condition to the shirts) and he never wears things that match. So now we have Merry Grace:

Here she is with both her legs through one of the leg holes of a pair of Ian's Spiderman boxer-briefs. She, of course, did it herself and doesn't she look proud? It's even better paired with her cute little pajama top and her shiny blue purse.
The view from the back is even better, where you can see the other leg of the underwear flapping behind her. Oh please. Whatever am I going to do with these kids? :)

In other news, Ian had a little incident last night. He and Elise were running around and playing, when suddenly Ian began crying that he got hurt. Of course, my immediate thought that it was related to their playing, but then he ran to me and was saying, "Something hurt my bottom, I think something's in my bottom!" I quickly stripped him down and found a 1" splinter sticking in one of his little heiny (anyone know the appropriate spelling for that word?) cheeks. It was stuck in there quite well and it was very difficult to get out, even with a good portion of it still outside the skin. Poor kid. I cannot even imagine how it got through his sweats and underwear to do that much damage. But he's bandaged up and no worse for wear this morning. Thank goodness. :)

7 rays of sunshine:

Unknown said...

They get their sense of style from their Papa, of course. Undiluted straight from the king of style to them. I'm so proud!

Dianna said...

your blogs are so cute! i really liked the one on president hinckley. so, i have not been ignoring your email i keep meaning to have daniel call and tell ya'll a good place to ride as a family. have you been up the greenway in north raleigh? i wouldn't be able to tell you roads on how to get there, but daniel can. anyway, cute blog and i really enjoy reading it each day :)

sj said...

Kids and fashion...I remember! Brings back lots of memories! :)

Glad Ian's okay! Bless his heart!

Oh, and I'm interested in the biking information, so keep us posted on that. Now, if we could just figure out a way to get a bike rack! Hauling them around in the van works, but not ideal.

Anonymous said...

Bike riding rocks! Do you guys bike on the street, or mountian biking. Did you all buy bikes? I love riding. Alas there are mountains of snow everywhere. Mountians.

Kristen said...

Daddy, oh yes. They do get their fashion sense from you. :)

Dianna, I'm so glad you've enjoyed the blog. Just let me know about the bike riding. We've never been to the place in N. Raleigh. Our experience is very limited. I'll email you Cory's cell number. Daniel can give him the info. He'd know much more about the roads than I would. :)

Mama, I remember some of us as little kids, so I know you struggled with the same fashion issues. There really isn't much we can do.

Lisa, we're more into street riding. My poor legs couldn't handle mountain biking just yet. I think I will have to build up to it. We all have bikes and have all enjoyed it. We even have the little two-seater buggy for Merry Grace and whomever else needs a break. :) It's been fun. Do you guys bike a lot too? I knew Shawn did some.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed the post kristen! Your kids are so cute! I loved merry grace's little fashion adventure. And ian is one tough kid not to have crying to you sooner! Keep the blogs coming...I really enjoy them!aybe I'll even write another post before too much longer here!

sj said...

Adam and I have been biking a lot of afternoons lately. He meets me at the greenway trail on his way in from work and I bring the bikes. It's been a lot of fun. I can't wait to do the New River Trail. I'll bet the kids will like the bridges and tunnels.