To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven.
How true this is, as we have learned in a very difficult way this week. At our ultrasound this week, to determine the health and gender of this new baby we have been preparing for, some major complications were discovered. While not completely unprepared for this news, we were, nevertheless, heartbroken.
The short version, is that our baby (a boy) has a severe neural tube defect. The prognosis is very bad and doctors gave us little hope for a good outcome. We are still reeling from the news and have many questions and appointments in the coming weeks to determine our course of action.
And while we are struggling with the challenge that lies before us, we have not been left alone. We have a great love as a couple and have relied on one another. We have wonderful children who are brave and strong and loving. We have extended family who will drop everything to help in whatever way we need. We have friends who are kind and thoughtful and whose prayers lift us up. We have an unshakable faith in a Heavenly Father who loves us and a Savior who has made salvation possible.
Elder David A. Bednar said, "When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
This is how we feel. We are facing a difficult challenge but we will be okay. Maybe not in the way we thought we would be okay, but in the Lord's own way, we will be okay.
For those of you whom I see on a regular basis, I wanted you, especially, to know how I felt and how you could help. Some of you are much better about this than me, but I'm terrible when it comes to knowing what to say and how to act around someone who has experienced a loss, heartache or challenge. I would love someone to tell me what they need, so I can be helpful. I am just not good about knowing what to do on my own. So here it is.
This is tough and will be for a while. But please feel that you can say "Hello" to me when you see me. I would love nothing more for you to hug me and tell me that you love me and are here for me. I won't be offended if you chat about something totally insignificant, like some cute jewelry, a new bag you have, or what silly thing our kids did. In fact, I would probably welcome the chance to just have a normal conversation. I really don't feel up to questions about the situation we're facing. It hurts and there is a lot we still don't have answers to ourselves. On the other hand, there may be times in the coming weeks when I feel like talking about things and if I do, just be a listening ear. I don't know which thing I'll need when, but I'll make sure I tell you. I know there are many in my circle of friends who have recently had babies and who are currently expecting their own. I don't feel anything but joy for each of you. Don't feel like you can't talk to me or that I will be hurt by seeing you or hearing you talk about your experience. I have experienced that joy 4 times and am so grateful for my experiences and I am grateful for your joy. Mostly, just keep our family in your prayers. That is what sustains us and will continue to do so, over the next little bit.
Oh, how we wish things were different! And yet, we feel that the Lord has a plan for our lives and know that this is part of our mortal journey. Therefore, we will "press forward, with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope and a love of God and of all men."
Thank you, each of you, who are the kind of people who share both our joys and our heartaches. We love you.
And this is why we do not feel alone, even in the midst of our sorrow.
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago

21 rays of sunshine:
Kristen, we love you and your family so much! We will most surely be praying for you.
Oh Kristen we are praying for you and your sweet baby! What a beautiful post in a time of adversity. Sending much love your way!
We'll be praying for you and your family, Kristen. We'd do absolutely anything for you!
That was a beautiful post and such a wonderful message. What a blessing it is to be member's of the Lord's church and have such an understanding for these types of situations. I love the Mormon Messages. They are always so perfect.
We love your family so much. Know that we are thinking of you.
Kristen, We will certainly be thinking of you and praying for you. Thank you for sharing your testimony. You are a great example, and I completely agree that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of our lives. He is more involved in our lives than I think we sometimes know.
we love y'all and if there's anything we can do - besides prayers - please let us know.
I love you Kristen and will pray for your family!
Kristen I'm so sorry to hear about this incredible challenge you are facing. But you are right, what a blessing the gospel of Jesus Christ is in our lives. I will be praying for you and your family.
love,
maren
Kristen, what a beautiful message and testimony you shared. We are back home tonight, but our hearts are still there with you. As always, you are in our thoughts and prayers. I know Heavenly Father is mindful of you and the needs of this little baby and your sweet family. We love you.
Kristen- You are absolutely amazing to be so strong at such a difficult time. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers- I know you are surrounded by many people who love and care about you, but please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Lots of love!
You really are amazing. Much love and prayers to you and our family.
Kristen,
Oh how I wish I was there to do anything and everything for you, to listen, to cry, to just be normal for you. We will definitely keep your family in our prayers. I know you are strong and amazing and you will grow so much from this experience and your family will be strengthened through the love of the Lord.
Your blog post is touching and beautifully expressed. We have been praying for you and put your names on the prayer roll at the temple today. We are so thankful that we got to see you as much as we did last month, and we feel so close to you. Our whole family love you and are concerned for you. Shiela said she shed tears when she read your blog tonight. We trust in the Savior, and we are thankful for your faith and testimony and great strength. Know that our family will be a spiritual support and in any way we can. We love you and yours. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings and your life with us.
Love,
Verona and Blaine and family
I'm just reading this now. I'm so deeply sorry. Know that you are loved and that you will be in my prayers and in my heart.
I just stumbled across your fb update and headed over here to read a bit more. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. May the Lord's spirit of comfort and peace rest upon you.
Oh Kristen, I am so sorry. That must be very difficult. Know that I am praying for you and your family during this time (and always, but now especially). Love to all.
Kristen,
My heart aches with you. Just know that I have been very close to others that have gone through similar things, and even though I do not fully understand the scope of what you and your family are feeling, if I can be of any comfort to you, please let me know. I understand that you will need different things at different times.
Erin Behnke
The Lord has great blessings in store for you and your sweet family as you continue to endure this trial with unshakable faith. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you all so much! Hugs from the bayou.
Certainly praying for you and your family Kristen. Wish I was closer to help lift you up in times of sorrow.
Kristen,
I'm so sorry for the trials you and your sweet family are experiencing. Your strength amazes me, but does not surprise me. We are so blessed to have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us by name and who hears and answers our prayers according to his will. We will be praying for continued strength for you and your family!
Love,
Marie
Kristen,
Heavenly Father knows us and is very aware of our struggles. Sometimes we wonder why or what in the world....but he continually does the right thing for us. You and your family are amazing. I know there is a reason that this is happening and I know that you will find comfort. I am definitely praying for all of you!
Post a Comment