Sunday, November 07, 2010

Thirty Days of Thanks--Day Seven

What was it about today that sent my kids into fits at church?  I felt like we were at a three ring circus, instead of stake conference.  Was it the weather?  The time change?  The different meeting schedule?  Who knows.  But between Ian's 18 bathroom and water fountain runs, Merry Grace's wandering around, and Paige's constant sneaking out the door, left opportunities for being spiritually fed few and far between.  But there was something that I got out of the meetings today.  One speaker asked the question "Why are you here today?  Right here, right now--why are you here?"  As I looked at my row of restless and rowdy kids and my sweet, patient husband, I knew exactly why I was there.  I was there because it was the right place to be.  I was there to be obedient.  I was there to set an example for my children, so they would know that church is important.  I wasn't there because it was easy.  Goodness knows, just about anything would have been easier than wrangling the kids for two hours.  And although I may have only left with a couple of thoughts that left me spiritually fed, I definitely left with a clear reminder of why I do the things I do.  On Sunday and ever other day.  And for that, I am deeply grateful.

I'm also thankful for delicious yeast rolls, fresh from the oven.  I made those this evening.  My house smelled wonderful and they tasted as good as they looked.  :)

YUM!!!

3 rays of sunshine:

Carolina girl said...

John David was a mess today at church today too. And even in nursery as well. He kept pushing kids and taking stuff away from them. Must have been the time change. Although you'd think with an extra hour of sleep they'd behave better instead of worse. Anyway, those rolls do look so yummy! I think I need your recipe.

sj said...

Good thoughts. And the rolls look delicious.

Kasey Q said...

I'm glad I read your post. Church really was NOT fun yesterday. But you are exactly right. It was the right place to be.

Oh, and I'll be at your place in 10 min to eat those rolls for ya.