Yesterday morning, Paige was getting a little tired of the whole "getting ready for church" routine. Being the fouth child sometimes means you are the last one to get dressed and sometimes that can make you a little cranky. So after working with the other kids, it was finally sweet baby Paige's turn to get ready. I had started changing her diaper while talking to her and cooing at her and she began grinning her ear-to-ear grins. And since it was Sunday, I began singing the words to "I am a Child of God." For some reason, she didn't seem to mind the singing:
"I am a child of God,
And He has sent me here.
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear."
And since she was kicking her little legs and still smiling her cute little smile and there was still dressing to be done, I went on to the second verse.
"I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great
Help me to understand His words
Before it grows too late."
And somehow, as I was singing those words to her, I realized that it wasn't my song to her, but her song to me. She was more than just this cute, tiny baby who needed to be dressed for church. She was a sweet little spirit, entrusted to my care who needed to be loved, cared for and taught. Sometimes, in the midst of busy life and dealing with kids who like to pour out bottles of shampoo, play in super glue and flush unflushable things down the toilet, I forget who they really are. And I'm thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who will reach out to me in the midst of a hectic Sunday morning, and remind me.

8 rays of sunshine:
Sweet and tender thoughts and very true. I read something recently about a mother who looked at a picture of her kids when they were younger, enjoying a picnic on a blanket, and she said she wished she could remember more about what they talked about, what they ate, all the smells and sounds and details. She felt like sometimes she was rushing on to the next thing that had to be done and not enjoying the moment enough. I think that's something I have to really be aware of, to enjoy the moment and slow down a bit, and not focus too much on just getting something done. Not that getting things done is bad, but to remember to enjoy the journey a little more.
i often get caught up in getting everything done, when i have to sit back and realize CJ doesn't care if dinner burns, she just wants me to hold her and spend time with her. thanks for sharing this!
As I read your blog again this morning, I couldn't help but think what a tremendous responsibility it is to be a parent! It is a great blessing with wonderful joys and also comes with it's share of challenges along the way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and by the way, I think you do a great job at being a mother - your little ones are truly blessed!
That was really beautiful, Kristen. Thanks for sharing, and I enjoyed your mom's comments, too. It's always good to take a minute and put things back in the right perspective.
So sweet and so true! She is such a sweet baby. I just want to kiss on those chubby little cheeks. You'll have to do it for me, and tell her it's from Aunt Netta. =)
GREAT message Kristen!! And I was just wondering....can I have baby Paige? :) J.K.! BUT she is just too too too CUTE!
Mama, you're so right. I think it is really easy to get caught up in the "routine" of life and forget to savor the little things.
Kory, you're right. I remember several years ago in a different ward I was serving in Primary and the sister doing sharing time was making a point about how Heavenly Father always has time for us, to hear our prayers, etc. She said, "Have you ever gone to your parents and they were busy doing something and couldn't help you right then?" This one little girl raised her hand and said, "No." She was just so sweet and sincere that I've never forgotten that. I thought how precious it was that she felt like her mom always made time for her. I don't always do that, but I want to try. :)
Lynetta, I will do that right now. :) I kiss them a hundred times a day, so I'll kiss them an extra time for you. They are delicious!!!
Sheri, Thanks! And I can't blame you a bit. She might be the most wonderful baby in the world. At the very least she's the most wonderful baby in OUR little world. :)
So sweet. What a good mama you are!
Post a Comment