Why is it that kids pick up on the very thing they shouldn't? I remember as a kid my youngest brother caught on to a line from a movie. He was on a walk with my parents when he kicked at a stick on the ground and said, "What the he_ _ is this thing?" My stunned parents quickly uncovered it was a direct quote from a "kids" movie. This week we watched the movie Cars, which I thought was totally adorable. It's been a really long time since I watched it. Well, Ian has been going around saying, "You need some new tires, idiot!" Yep, straight out of the movie. And it doesn't seem to be just movies. As I think I've posted about before, Merry Grace is a big fan of the word, "boobies". You never know when that one's going to come out, but every now and then she gets silly (like last night at dinner) and just randomly throws out a loud, "Boobies!!!" There's a saying that goes, "Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said." It may not necessarily be something you said, but you get the picture. I think there could be a whole commentary on what kids are allowed to hear/see and so on. But sooner or later they will pick up on these things at school or somewhere else. So with Ian, we tried to turn his catchphrase into a teaching moment. So now he walks around saying, "You need new tires, Idiot. Did you hear that? Idiot. That's not a nice word to say." Yep. A total success. I think he's got the idea. Score one for perfect parenting. :)
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago

4 rays of sunshine:
Hey, Hyde started saying the same word courtesy of the "101 dalmations" movie. I told him it was rude to say but then it's hard because I'll say things like, "rrgghh, I'm so stupid" when I'm frustrated with something. Then they think I've said a bad word. Yes, lot's of points over here for perfect parenting too :)
It makes me feel SO good when you write posts like this! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Mother with children that say things they shouldn't...and at the most inappropriate/embarrassing times! lol! :)
Maren, I'll have to make sure we don't watch that one. We really don't need any reinforcement on that word. :)
Sheri, I feel better hearing you say that b/c you have awesome kids, so it gives me hope. :)
LOL. I had to take all our PG-13 movies, and several PG ones away because Luke was in the habit of repeating everything he heard on there, particularly the undesirable but emotional statements. LOL. It was quite a summer that year. I told him he could have them back when he was smart enough to know what was a polite language and what was not and to not repeat everything he heard just because. he caught on, and we haven't had any issues in a really long time, except for Halle is a fan of Oh my Gosh, but she isn't much for proper enunciation, so I have been trying to get her to switch to goodness. LOL.
Liberty and Merry Grace would LOVE each other. Liberty is also fascinated with the breasts, and her favorite gags are 1. to dance around and yell "shakin' my booty" while shaking her booty very obviously and 2. monning people and saying "look, do you see my bum!" and laughing hysterically when she thinks I am not watching. I have mom radar though, so she rarely gets away with it.
Post a Comment