I've loved reading on some of my friends blogs about the activities their families are doing. There have been some really great ideas. So I thought I'd post something we started this month. We made a service paper chain to countdown the days until Christmas. Each person thought of a few services they could provide for another member of the family...cooking a favorite meal, playing a favorite game, going on a date, cleaning a room, making a bed and jumping on the trampoline together were a few that different ones thought of. We wrote (or helped write) each service on a piece of paper and then made the strips into a paper chain. One person tears a strip off each day and they get to be the recipient of the service offered. Yesterday Ian had his closet cleaned by Elise and today Elise will get to have lunch with her Daddy. What impressed me most was how thoughtful and generous the services were. I think it will be a fun way for our family to be closer over the holidays.
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago


5 rays of sunshine:
What a great idea! And the chain is really cute and festive!
Great Idea!!! We make a countdown chain but I think incorporating service is an awesome idea. What a great way to keep kids focused on Christ and His love for others. Thanks for sharing!
Love it! We've been trying to focus our Christmas on serving others (the way Christ lived his life) this year, so this is a great idea! We may have to steal it. :)
Lynetta, thanks! I couldn't just use plain paper, I had to decorate it with glitter. I guess I'm still a little like a kid and enjoy craft time. :)
Maren, I love your daily ideas, too. Lots of cute things for the kids to look forward to.
Susan, steal away. I'm hoping we'll be able to focus on that too.
I have the RS first Sunday lesson this Sunday and wanted to talk about ways to keep Christ in Christmas. This is a good idea. I hope you'll have some comments on your post with other good ideas that I could incorporate into my lesson! :)
Post a Comment