Monday, May 22, 2006

memories

today is the anniversary of grandpa arnold's death. i think about him often, but particularly on this day. maybe its because the date is so close to my birthday, but i feel connected to him, even in his death. i have lots of memories of him, some of my own & some from stories i've heard from grandma delia and mama. i have a tender place in my heart for him, even though i didn't know him for very long on this earth. i know that he loved me. i think he felt about me the way grandma delia does, even to this day. if i had a fan club, grandma would be #1 in it. she thinks i can do anything. she believes i'm the best at everything i do, from scrapbooking, to mothering, to piano playing. i think that's sort of how grandpa thought about me when i was a little girl. he sure was proud of everything i could do. one of my "snapshot memories" of him is of him walking around the corner of the porch at grandma's & i was running along beside him. i remember him lifting me up and putting me on his shoulders and me just giggling. often i think about him, wondering what he thinks of me now, with my own sweet little family. i bet he would love it. i had a neat experience the week before merry grace's blessing. one morning in the shower, i was thinking how neat it was that so many people would be there for the blessing & how glad i was to have both daddy & ethan be able to participate. it just hit me that i wished both my grandpa's could be there, too. immediately as i thought that, i had this one clear image of grandpa arnold & grandpa jarrell, dressed in suits, walking into our cultural hall. all it was was that one image. but it was a very special experience for me. even now, as i type it, my eyes are filled with tears. i'm so grateful to be part of an eternal family. if there's anything grandpa arnold would have wanted, it would be for all of us to be able to be together forever.

8 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

Well now I'm wiping away tears, too. I've been thinking about Daddy today, too. Maybe it sticks with me, too, because I remember your second birthday and then Daddy's death so soon after. And how much he loved you and would have liked to watch you grow up. It is some comfort to think that maybe he has seen some of it from a distance. He thought the sun just rose and set with you. He always had (has) such a strong love of family and it was a great joy in his life to have a grandchild so close by to get to see every day. He loved to take you for a walk to Maggie's store and buy you grape pop. He was the one who taught you how to drink out of the pop bottle. And he'd buy you Kit Kat candy bars. He also loved to show you off to everyone at the store. He would have you read (and you were less than 2 years old) the letters on the pop machine and everyone thought you were so smart (rightly so!). Grandpa loved to carry you around and to play with you. They both (Grandpa and Grandma) have always loved you so much, that's for sure!

Unknown said...

I wish I had gotten the chance to know both of my Grandpas. it's such a comfort to be able to think of things in the eternal perspective, to know that I'll have the chance to see him again someday. we sure are blessed

Susan said...

I really enjoyed this post. I could just feel how close you have been to your grandparents. That mirrors my own family, and my grandparents have all passed on now. It certainly is a comfort to have the gospel perspective when I think of them. I certainly miss them, but my feelings are mainly of hope for the future we will have together. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Lisa said...

I have had similar experiences, it is funny, I was just typing on shawn's my family site, and i was talking about hte photo of Grandpa's headstone that I had hanging in my room as a teenager. I was so close to my mom's dad, and I still ache for him, wonder what he would think of us, and what guidance he would give. Nate Amanda and I have all had experiences with him since he passed on and that power and knowledge is such an amazing thing!

sj said...

We've had some experiences, too. The veil seems very thin at times.

Log said...

this is more or less unrelated but elise looks freakishlly grown up all of a sudden. see look.

> ears peirced
> grown up style hair cut
> 5 years of age
> ummmm thats all i got.

tell elise i feel sorry for her. her troubles are just starting. let me go off topic for a bit here.

my first day of kindergarten was really fun. i loved it. then i hated every day of it from then on.

im out.

Kristen said...

logan, i love when you comment. the kindergarden part was funny. elise really does look grown up all of a sudden. my baby girl...

veronajarvis said...

What tender memories. I loved your thoughts about our sweet Daddy. He was one of a kind, and such a family man. Nothing gave him more pleasure than his children and grandchildren. He loved each of us in a special way, and I love him back because of that great love. He loved unconditionally; I pray that we can follow his example. I loved your experience of seeing your grandpas in white. The thought came to me: "What if Daddy taught Adrian's daddy the gospel!" What a choice experience that would be. I look so forward to all our families being linked eternally. It helps me make better choices. Thank you for helping us remember Daddy at this anniversary time. You're a unique young woman, Kristen. We love you and your family.
Love,
Verona