Monday, December 07, 2009

Until We Meet


Cory's dad passed away the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  This is the first loss of a parent for either of us.  In fact, between the two of us, three of our grandmothers are still living--with two of them being 89 years old.  His passing wasn't completely unexpected.  He had had heart problems for many years and this last year had really taken a toll on him.  I wonder if any of us knew how much he suffered the last little bit.  But even having said that, I don't think anyone was ready to say good-bye.  There would never come a time, no matter how much time we had, that we would ever be "ready" for this kind of parting.  However, I feel that there were so many tender mercies witnessed throughout this ordeal--too many to name and some too personal to share.  The blessing that has come from this experience for our family, is a deeper appreciation for our Savior, who made it possible for families to be together again.  We have a more personal understanding of the Plan of Salvation that I feel so grateful to know about.  And I think we have a greater desire to try harder to live better, so that one day we will be reunited, as a family.  Eternity just seems a little more personal.



There are many things I remember about Russell and the kind of man he was.  But when I see him in my mind's eye, I picture him as he was in this picture--happy, smiling and surrounded by a bunch of grandkids who adored him.  And we think about him everyday, especially when the kids run through the house belting out "I've got sixpence, Jolly jolly sixpence...".   We're starting a different chapter in our lives, just as he is starting a different chapter in his.  And while we miss him tremendously, we're anxiously awaiting the day when we will, indeed, meet again.  In the meantime, we hope he'll save us a spot. :)

8 rays of sunshine:

melibwig said...

Kristen, what a great post...even though I cried through the whole thing.

Kristen said...

Its okay, I cried through the whole thing of writing it. :)

WoozleMom said...

My thoughts and prayers and love for your family...

sj said...

I've got tears in my eyes, too. What a sweet tribute to a good man.

Susan said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. These times really do make the gospel so meaningul. I, with you, am so grateful for our Savior who has provided a way for us to be with our families for eternity. Thank you for your testimony. I hope you find lots of peace and comfort in the days ahead.

Carolina girl said...

I love that the grandkids are all singing "Sixpence". Hopefully they can pass it down through the generations. It doesn't matter how sad I am, whenever I hear it, it makes my heart happy. And I am positive it makes Daddy happy too!

Amanda said...

Such a sweet post about such a sweet man.

Troop 331 said...

add my tears to this post. love ya DAD!

Cory