Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This is why people hire professionals

Yesterday we had such nice weather, I decided to go outside with the kids and take pictures of them for our Christmas cards. I got them all ready, dressed in complementing navy outfits, hair gelled, styled and matching bows for the girls. They were fresh-faced and beautiful as we went out in the yard for some photo ops. What happened next reminded me why most people pay someone to do this for them. What a disaster. :)

Merry Grace, our sweet, lovely child was grumpy and crying from the get-go. No amount of soothing from me or her sibs did any good. Also, we began with a major compromise. If you'll notice, Ian is wearing his Spiderman slippers--actually, that was more of my compromise than Ian's. :)
The cheez-its you see to the right were part of the shameless bribery techniques I was using to get a nice shot of the kids. Obviously it didn't work. I can just see the Christmas card now, "Merry Christmas with love: Elise, Ian, Merry Grace, and the box of cheez-its that we were too lazy to take out of the picture." Oh well.
Just plain silliness. What can you do? What can you do?
Every time I told Ian not to be silly and let me get a nice shot, this is the look I got. Great. Just great.
Typical shot. Elise is being nice, good, obedient and sweet. Ian is being silly. Merry Grace is devastated.
Then Max joined the fun. MG looks horrified by the whole thing.
The one time I had everyone looking happy and sweet, the photographer ruined it. In my defense, I was jumping from behind the camera to say "Boo" and other silly things. It worked, in that all the kids were smiling and giggling. Unfortunately, I couldn't hold the camera still and make them laugh at the same time. Sigh. I need a tripod.
More attempts to soothe Merry Grace. Unsuccessful.
After a discouraging 30 minutes of trying everything to get a Christmas card picture, we packed everyone up and called it a day. Sometimes, you just have to admit defeat. :)

7 rays of sunshine:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain Kristen!! That's what happens to me when I try to take pictures of my girls too!! Sooooo frustrating!! But they're still cute, even when they're not smiling and happy.:) See you guys soon!! Love ya! Lynetta

Lisa said...

So funny!
I think the lighting and staging is beautiful! You have a real eye for that. Will you come take photos of my kids?
I really like the one on the stairs were they are all lined up in a line, with the crying, silly and happy faces. Tells a great story. I think it could win a contest.

Kristen said...

Lynetta, They ARE still cute. :) I love their personalities coming out in these pictures. I'm just not sure everyone on my card list would appreciate them as much as I do. :) We can't wait to see you. Elise is SOOOOOOO excited for Katie to come!!!

Lisa, Thanks for the compliment, even amidst my mess of a photo shoot. :) I love taking pictures and trying to have them look nice and get the right look. One day maybe I'll take some classes on that. I also want to get a fancy lens or two for my camera, so I can get some close-up shots. I think what I love about these, is that sometimes it is hard to capture an action, where you can actually see what is happening. It's like you can almost hear the crying, and really get the feeling of the moment. Too bad they're all grumpy, but still some neat pictures. :)

sj said...

Hilarious! I know this was not so funny in the moment and I'm sorry you didn't get the nice Christmas card pictures you wanted, but it's good you can see the humor in it all! And what memories! This is one everyone will look back on and smile. The pictures are so descriptive of what's going on! :)

sj said...

Oh, and I agree, they are still cute!

Anonymous said...

that is too funny! i especially like the look on elise's face on the last two pictures. she is so done. charles allen has so enjoyed your blog today. he wants to see ian and merry grace and he loved the fair pictures. you should hear him. "i stared". it's really good. thanks for the entertainment.
amanda and charles allen

All of Us said...

I will have to find my mom's only family Christmas card she ever did. It will make you think your pictures are of happy kids. At least you get pictures taken too, we have yet to accomplish that feat.