Thursday, August 16, 2007

My new loves

Okay, here are a few of the new things I love.

1. Butter. Yeah, okay, so that one has been around for while. But *cringing with embarrassment* I just discovered it. We've always bought margarine and even spray butter. Those things certainly have their place. But recently I bought some real butter. A few mornings ago I made grits and toast for breakfast, and spread real butter on my toast for the first time. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I fell in love and I fell hard. I've been dying for an excuse to eat more. I'm even beginning to think Grandma Delia might have been onto something with her peanut butter and butter sandwich.

2. The Closer: This is a show that comes on TNT, I think on Monday nights. I just started watching them before we moved and now I'm hooked. Again, this is a show that's been out for a while (I'm never on the cutting edge of television or movies), but it is wonderful. It's got enough of that suspense, criminal investigation, and "i didn't see that coming" moments to make it really great. But Kyra Sedgewick who plays Chief Brenda Johnson is fabulous. She's tough and great as a police officer and investigator. But she' s a little clumsy sometimes and still quite girly. She's just adorable and likeable and she MAKES the show, although I like the whole cast.

3. German Heirloom Tomatoes: I bought one of these at a local produce stand the other day, only because it had a really different name than the "Big Boys" and "Beefy Boys" that I'm used to seeing. And it had a slightly different color--more pink tints than orange. It just sounded cool. So I ate it yesterday for lunch and it was fabulous!!!! Granted, I only bought one, so maybe I just got the best one there was. But when I sliced into it, it was rich and bright and fresh and the taste was golden. I only wish I'd gotten more. Todays lunch will likely not compare.

9 rays of sunshine:

Kristin said...

I have to agree with your first two faves. I grew up on Country Crock. When I married John he asked "what is that? I'm not eating that. I want butter." I told him it was butter, at least I thought it was butter. He read me the label and we went out that night and bought our first pack of Land O' Lakes. We've never looked back. Although I do have a new buttery love, butter with canola oil to make it soft so you can spread it cold. Yummy!

And The Closer - awesome! I had seen a few episodes with my dad, then when we moved into the hotel I started watching it weekly. It comes on an hour earlier here!

Heirloom tomatoes - I have seen them but never tasted them. I'll have to find some and make a melted cheese and tomato sandwich (like grilled cheese plus tomatoes).

Lisa said...

I converted to butter about two years ago as well. I love it and don't even bother with margarine. I think butter is slightly more healthy as well. Anyway, did you just eat a plain tomato for lunch? I don't love tomatoes. I am finally to the point where I can eat them on a burger, or diced on a taco salad. I would be so much healthier if I ate a tomato for lunch. I have heard that "heirloom" tomatoes have a much better flavor. They are grown from seeds that have been saved from generations past and not crossbred in any way, I think.
I haven't ever watched "The Closer" We don't have cable. My new television love is "who's the boss" and "the wonder years" they are on a channel called ion at eight and nine each night. I love the wonder years, they make me happy.

Lisa said...

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/tomatoes.htm
Here is a website devoted to all the tomatoes, they have cheap seed packets to order. I thought it was interesting. I heart google.

maren bosley said...

I love butter too!!!! I've been blessed to enjoy it my whole life. It makes cookies so much yummier too! My two cents though...if you have a costco card, buy butter there. It's about 6 or 7 dollars for 4 pounds of butter. So much cheaper than the grocery stores!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness! I've always wondered what kinds of chemicals I was ingesting in that spry you used!

Kristen said...

Kristin, lucky for you that John introduced you so quickly to butter. As for the Closer, I just watched this weeks episode a few days ago. The first seven minutes were INTENSE!!!

Lisa, I wondered what heirloom tomatoes were all about. I'm thinking I may try my own from those packets. The one I had was delicious!!! Cory doesn't like tomatoes either. He won't even eat them the way you're describing.

Maren, great tip on the butter. The price has always been one of my hold-ups for buying it. Margarine is so much cheaper. I'll have to try that. Plus, if one pound is good, four pounds would be better! :)

Daddy, you've been waiting for this day, haven't you? ;

The Short Sale Strategist said...

I'm just glad it was butter and tomatoes.
Keep on keeping on.

sj said...

Your butter comments would make Grandma proud.

I'm interested in the TV show, but, of course, we have never seen it.

As for tomatoes...I love them. The heirloom ones sound wonderful. I love tomato sandwhiches with a fresh tomato from the garden. One of my favorite childhhod garden memories is of going to the garden with my Daddy and a salt shaker and picking warm, ripe tomatoes right from the vine and sprinkling a little salt on it and just eating it right there. Oooohh, delicious....I can taste it now.

Erin said...

Sams has cheap butter as well. And if you are going all out, the best kind of butter is organic, grass fed butter from Jersey cows, milked in the Spring..... not that I would know or anything, I've just heard.