Friday, August 24, 2007

Good Southern Food Everyone Should Try

There are some things that are just native to the south, that no matter where you live, you should try. Feel free to add to the list, in case I missed something. :)

1. Grits--Made the way grits were intended to be made, with salt and (real) butter. Even better if you have them with bacon or sausage, eggs and biscuits.

2. Red hot dogs--Wikipedia has this to say about NC hot dogs. (Scroll down the page to find the NC part.) They are definitely the best.

3. Collards--Part of the thing about collards is they have to be cooked the right way...usually with a ham hock or some fatback. (I know, I know--what an unhealthy thing to do to a vegetable. But I don't want to hear about it. It's delicious!)

4. Chicken and Pastry--This is a lot like chicken and dumplings only instead of dumplings there is something that resembles a lasagna noodle, only tastier.

5. Sonkers--This is very much like a cobbler. The name sonker is only found in a small area of the foothills, but means much the same thing. Basically you add the fruit last and let the cakey part rise around the fruit. Strawberry is delicious, although I like the tartness from a blackberry or raspberry one.

6. BBQ--There is eastern and western style BBQ and they are extremely different, but both are wonderful and famous in their own right. Eastern style is more vinegary, for Western style try Lexington, NC for a sample.

7. Sweet Potato Pie--If you don't like this, you probably just didn't get the right recipe. Made the "right" way, nothing beats it, especially in the fall.

This is just a small sampling of NC and Southern cuisine. To me its the best thing in the world!!!

7 rays of sunshine:

Alayna said...

I have more bayou influences but in my opinion nothing beats a nice crawfish fry, except maybe gumbo with shrimp or jambalaya with everthing. We used to mix in a little home made apricot jam with our grits... not for everyone, but worth a try. My dad ate them with peanut butter and jelly and sometimes with salt and pepper, but that's just wierd. I have helped Nate come around to okra and gumbo is always our end-of-the-month-when-money-is-tight meal. I am glad I married someone who understands my southern quirks... mostly because he has them too! I technically have the pedigree of a real southern bell but Nate still calls me cajun.

Lisa said...

I'll be there at six. cook everything. i wish. utah "cuisine" consists of various jello flavors with various toss ins like shredded carrot and fruit cocktail, and funeral potatoes, chinese chicken wonton salad, and chicken salad on croissant, or rolls with meat and cheese. not a huge fan, but potato crap, my grandma herbert's name for funeral potatoes is pretty good.

Unknown said...

What!? No butter & sugar biscuits?!

Kristen said...

Alayna, my SIL lives in Louisiana and make some of those cajun meals you're talking about. We always have her make one at least once when she visits. Where did you grow up? I always thought of you as a western gal.

Lisa, I'll see you at six. Be here with bells on. I love jello. I like the kind you can make with club soda for a little "fizz". And I like real fruit mixed in. Grandma Delia used to make that when we were little.

Daddy, I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess that is southern. That is best on grandma's angel biscuits. Cory's family also eats biscuits with homemade chocolate sauce on them. I wonder if that has southern roots.

sj said...

This makes me hungry! I'd love to have some BBQ and a sweet potato sonker!

Alayna said...

I was born in the west (Orem, specifically) but was raised in Mesa, AZ. My dad was born and raised in Zachary, LA and his family is very southern. I have been to visit the grandparents several times and I love it there, ecspecially the food.

Nate and I are having a debate about whether or not Louisiana is "southern". I think he is crazy and there is no question about it. If anyone cares to weigh in please do.

Kristin said...

Girl, you make my mouth water! The best western BBQ place I have been to is in Rabun Co, GA, about 2 miles below the NC border - Oinkers! Yum, yum, yummy!

Oh yeah, you left out banana pudding! I can't find that anywhere here in TX!