Thursday, January 26, 2012

Its Still a New Year, Right?

I think January 26th is as good a day as any to post about our New Year's Celebrations. :)  I'm thinking better late than never really applies here.

So, for New Year's weekend, we went to visit my parents.  (Beware.  We had fun and I took a LOT of pictures.  Why make several posts when you can just add 50 pictures to one post?)



My Dad makes awesome homemade sourdough bread.  It is delicious and he always makes it for us when we're together.  This time he was lucky enough to have a cute little assistant. (I think playing with a little pile of flour may be her favorite part of "making bread".)

 Another favorite thing we love to do when we go home is walk in the woods around my parents' house.  My brothers and I spent lots of time exploring the woods when we were kids, so its fun to show our kids where we used to play.

 Papa always give lots of little interesting "nature lessons" while we walk.  He points out different kinds of trees & plants, shows us where animals have been and lots of other neat things.

 Ian spotted a little green snake.  Papa didn't think there really was one out there this time of year, but sure enough, Ian was right.  He was a cute little guy.  Papa told the snake he'd better go hibernate like a normal snake. :)



 My Dad heats with a wood stove, so he has to cut a lot of wood in the winter.  This was one of the trees he  cut down for firewood.  It was enormous.  The kids all wanted pictures by the tree.



 These were just too cute not to post.  Cory is such a good Dad.  


 My parents also have swings that the kids love to play on.  The temperatures were so mild.  It was so nice to be outside.


 Papa also made his famous double decker fudge.  It is AH-MAZ-ING.  He let Paige stir the peanut butter fudge and Merry Grace stirred the chocolate fudge.  I think those cute girls helping made it taste extra sweet.

Elise and Paige with Grandma J.  Aren't they just cute as can be?

 Ian and Paige played around before bedtime.  Paige was trying to keep him from talking.  And heaven forbid she do it without her thumb in. ;)

 Grandma and MG

 This one is blurry, but Ian's face makes me laugh, so I'm including it anyway. :)  I think his kool-aid mustache makes it even better. :)

 Elise and Ella

 We took another walk on New Year's Eve, during the day.  My Dad is lots of fun. :)

 My brother, Ethan, and his family came down that day, so the more the merrier.  We loved having them there.

 So many beautiful things in the woods.  I love the peace and quiet and beauty there.

 Follow the leader... ;)

 My sweet Lisy.  She wanted to walk with me, but didn't love the many stops I made to take pictures.  She stuck with me anyway. :)

 I love Paige's expression here.  There are about 50 times a day where we comment on how we don't think she could get any cuter.




 And more pictures with the giant tree stump.



 Oh my goodness.  These two.  I love them to bits.

 Yes, she popped her thumb out just long enough to say cheese.  

 The things you find in the country...  Ian and Paige were checking out a dead turtle in the yard.  Paige was probably more fascinated than anyone.  What a funny girl. :)

 Ian spent some of his Christmas money on a new watch.  He gave us hour by hour (and sometimes minute by minute updates.)  $4.88? Worth. Every. Penny.

By evening on New Year's Eve, we were ready for fun.  Here's some of it...

 Grandma tried out a new hairstyle...

 ...Elise made fortune tellers. (Yes, you should proceed with caution. Based on her predictions, the year is  not looking good. ;))...

 ...Chef Cory made sausage balls...

 ...We played family games of Scrabble and Wits & Wagers...

 ...spent some time with my honey...

 ...Tucked the little girls into bed while these two stayed up to ring in the New Year...

 ...Watched the Ball drop online...

 ...Then ran outside to make a racket ringing in the New Year.  We had a giant bell, some pots and pans, and a conch shell, which I think effectively let everyone know we were excited about 2012...






 Everyone was excited and wished each other a Happy New Year.

 Chip pretty much sums up where I fell with things.  But I did make it through the celebrations.  Then I crashed.





On Sunday we made some cute family pictures at church with all of the cute kids and grandkids.

It was a hugely successful New Year's.  We love the chance to reflect on the year we're saying good-bye to and look ahead to a new and exciting year to come.  The best part of all was getting to celebrate with family.

1 rays of sunshine:

sj said...

Loved all the pictures and memories! One other favorite was Paige coloring those spiders on the house I drew for her and hearing her laugh when she scared us with those spiders! So cute! :)