Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Joy in the Journey

My friend's recent blog post reminded me of something I've been thinking about for a while.  Its about finding joy in the journey.  Way back in August, when I found out I was pregnant, it was definitely a surprise.  And a shock.     And while I certainly felt those things (along with nervousness, nausea, and worry) mostly what I felt was happiness.  I even felt a little giddy about the whole thing.  How could I have known, in that moment, that I would only have 20 short weeks with my little guy?  But what I am so grateful for, is that I didn't spend even one minute feeling sad, one minute feeling angry or one minute upset about the fact that I was having a baby.  That baby.  My baby.

 I know some people do feel that way or have felt that way and I don't in any way mean this to be a criticism of them.  I feel that the experiences we have are here to teach us something, and those mothers had something entirely different to learn from their experiences than I did.  And part of what I think I needed to learn, was to find joy in the journey.  To find joy in the unexpected, joy in the hardships and joy even amidst the trials.

 It's something I'm still learning, as a Mother.  So much about motherhood is "lather, rinse, repeat."  The same dishes have to be loaded, the same clothes have to be washed, the same rooms have to be cleaned, the same toys have to be picked up.  Every day.  Sometimes its hard to see forward progress when you're stuck on the repeat cycle.  But there is joy to be found in those things.  I don't always see it.  But dishes to wash, rooms to clean--all mean that we are living.  It means we are still here and we still have work to do.  And I love that.

I think Sister Hinckley summed it up best: "I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.  I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.  I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.  I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.  I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.  I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."


And that is finding Joy in the Journey. 

9 rays of sunshine:

Heather Macbeth said...

Thanks for this post. I really struggle with the lather, rinse, repeat of motherhood.

I'm so sorry to hear of your baby! That's so hard! I can't imagine what I would do after 20 weeks! That's such a long time to bond and prepare for that little sweetie. You have a really good attitude.

Kasey Q said...

I keep feeling so down lately about so many things, one of which would of course be the "lather, rinse, repeat." Thank you for the reminder that it means our family is working and still has work to do. And thank you for that awesome quote from Sister Hinckley. What a sweet lady whe was. You've made me feel a little brighter inside.

Susan said...

I love Sister Hinckley. Her words are always a breath of fresh air, and yours are too, Kristen. I love that attitude that having work around the house means we're here together. I'm going to try really hard to keep that in mind!

Kory said...

you should write a book! i love reading your inspiring, uplifting blog posts. thanks for sharing that with us. i needed it today!

sj said...

I agree. So true. I appreciate your sharing your insights. Thoughtful, inspiring, comforting, and much more. Love you so much!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I read this post this morning--what a wonderful reminder that everything we do as mothers (even the mundane) matters. Thanks for sharing your learning experiences so that we all can be encouraged along with you :)

Anonymous said...

In my old house I kept this exact quote on my fridge to remind me of who i want to strive to be. Since moving I have forgotten this quote..thanks to you for posting it. I would love to get together sometime...I enjoy reading about you and your cute family as i "unwind" from my days of finding joy in the journey myself!
I have slowly been learning to let the dishes sit, the toys lay, and to allow myself to really play and BE with my kiddos...
Happy Thursday!

WoozleMom said...

I particularly liked this comment: So much about motherhood is "lather, rinse, repeat."

Especially when placed next to Sister Hinckley's words. I love that woman, and I love you!

Gene and Sheri Family said...

I'm with Kory...you SHOULD write a book...you could be the next (new and improved) Erma Bombeck...ask your Mother who she is if you don't know... :) Just after my Mom died, my sister used my Mother's scriptures to write her funeral talk and in those scriptures she found a tattered piece of paper that said, "If you're still here, you have a work to do." Its so true...and as long as we are still here, we SHOULD find joy in the journey! THANKS for all your inspiring posts that make this "still here" girl want to do and be better!!! :)