I have decided I will post our Christmas memories here if it kills me. Which it may. :) Nevertheless, in the spirit of all the fun times we had, I'm surging forward, hoping I can preserve for history's sake, our 2008 Christmas experience.
Just to recap, we celebrated our own little Christmas morning, then went to Cory's family's house, and then late on Christmas Eve headed up to my family's house. It's hard to capture all the things we did and all the memories we made in just a few paragraphs, but here are some highlights:
Over the past couple of years we've tried to incorporate a feeling of serving one another into our Christmas. So each year we have the name of another family member to serve throughout the year. So on Christmas Eve, even though it was late, we gathered together and recounted how we'd served each other. It was a fun, bonding time as a family and made us appreciative of one another as we realized the sacrifices made in our behalf. And there was a pretty good dose of laughter in there too, I believe. Because that is just what we do. :)
On Christmas Morning, our little munchkins were up early and ready for presents. Since they are the only little kids on my side of the family, it became their job to wake up my brothers who seem to have lost some of that Christmas morning magic. I think they succeeded in helping them reclaim it. :) About 15 years ago, my aunt, uncle and cousins came out to spend Christmas with my Grandma and my family. On Christmas morning, when my teenage cousin wouldn't get up for presents, my Grandma took matters into her own hands and walked into his room with a bell singing, "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" as loud as she could. Needless to say, it woke him up and the same technique worked well with my brothers. The kids took some of my Dad's bells (luckily he collects them, so they had many to choose from) and rang them and sang until my brothers were up. Only they sang "Jingle Bells" since its a little more kid friendly. So the tradition lives on...
Speaking of my Grandma, the bell-ringer herself, here she is holding Paige who she more frequently refers too as "little doll." One of the best parts of Christmas is just being with family. I love my Grandma to pieces and she loves me and my kids just as much. Isn't she a dear?
And here is my Daddy's mom, loving on the babe as well. She's the most talented seamstress--she made both my prom dresses, Ian's blessing suit and my wedding gown as well. She also knitted all our Christmas stockings (which you can see a picture of in the collage below).
One of my favorite things about the holidays were a few well-timed naps. :) Here I was snuggled up with Elise's curious George stuffed animal. Let me just tell you, I was OUT. I'm just glad I wasn't drooling!
One of Ian and Elise's favorite things about the holidays was unrestricted computer time. The sweet thing was, one would get on the desktop computer, the other on the laptop, and they would play the same game at the same time. They really loved working together to win the games.
Merry Grace spent quite a bit of time over the holidays blowing out candles. She repeatedly told my mom that it was her birthday, at which time we would all stop what we were doing and sing "Happy Birthday to You" to her and then let her blow out the candle. No wonder I've thought she acted 25--that's probably how many birthdays she celebrated! :)
The best part of the holidays--being together!
It was a wonderful holiday. We were blessed with health, happiness and the ability to not wring each others necks. We survived it and we loved it! What more can you ask?

4 rays of sunshine:
Looks like you guys had a great time and made lots of fun memories. I'm so happy for Ethan. They look so cute together. I love the picture of you sleeping. Good for you for sneaking in a nap. And I love that Merry Grace says it's her birthday so she can blow out the candles. That's so funny!
I get tickled thinking about Merry Grace saying, "It's my birthday!" She had the cutest look on her face...like what a surprise and what good fortune that it's her birthday and we could sing and blow out candles! She is so cute!
It was a great holiday and I'm so glad we all got to be together!
Oh, and while we're bragging on Lois, let me just say that I agree with what you said. She is a wonderful young woman. I'll add that she was valedictorian of her graduating class, very talented musically, speaks three languages, already graduated from college, teaching school, and working on her masters, a returned missionary, she is great with children, loves to cook, has a strong testimony, good character, a kind and caring person, and she loves Ethan. We're so glad to have her join our family! I think they are blessed to have found each other and will make a wonderful couple.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Post a Comment