Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Ironic

Paige has been potty trained for while now.  She's done a great job and has rarely had an accident.  But she's developed a fun new quirk.  She hates public toilets.  And the toilet at her Dad's office.  And the toilet at the kids' school.  And the toilet and Uncle Ethan and Aunt Lois's house.   Pretty much any toilet besides the one at home.  And don't even think about flushing a toilet in front of her.  Now, there are circumstances where I can get her to use a different toilet.  But its an ordeal.  How ironic is it to have a child who is potty-trained, but only wants to use one potty?

Boys make me laugh.  This morning I came into the kitchen.  We were well on our way with our morning routine.  Most everyone had eaten breakfast.  Most everyone was dressed.  But not Ian.  I found him, still in his pajamas, sitting at the kitchen table.  The day before he had filled a plastic cup with water, dropped about 10 gummy worms inside it and stuck it in the freezer.  This morning, he got it out and proceeded to chop the ice to bits to remove the frozen gummy worms.  By the time I found him, he had freed about 6 of the gummy worms who were now wet and slimy and dripping all kinds of yuckiness all over the table, not to mention the chunks of ice that had melted and were now making puddles all over the table and floor.  The gummy worms may have survived a night in the freezer, but they were no match for a Mama trying to get her kids ready for school.  But not before I had a good laugh. :)

Paige is just as girly as ever.  She loves lipstick.

How ironic that the only place she doesn't have lipstick is actually on her lips? :)

Last night at ball practice, Elise found an inch worm.  Paige was utterly fascinated.

We were all horrified when Merry Grace came and sat down on the little green inch worm, but in a miracle of nature, when she stood up, it was happily crawling up her pants leg.  Hooray! :)

This week the weather has been gorgeous.  The kids have been doing their homework on the front porch after school.    Its awesome.  This picture is so typical of Ian.  He's intently focusing on his assignment.  But I'll bet if I'd captured a picture just a few seconds before, he would have been intently tracking down flies with that swatter lying beside him. :)  And way back in the background, if you look closely,  is the explosion of paperwork and other stuff that happens every day when he comes home from school.  If you ever wonder where he is, just follow his trail of shoes, jacket, papers and folders.  He's sure to be at the other end of the trail. :)

My parents have been down helping my brother and his wife with their new little baby and stopped by the park last night on their way back home.  Thanks to Elise, for catching this priceless moment--the double decker swing.   What can you do when its the adults who do the dangerous things? :)  Thankfully, they were safe and Merry Grace giggled through the entire thing.  Gotta love that Papa. :)

We had fun today eating lunch with Elise.  Her cousin, Emmy, is on a different school schedule and was out today, so I picked her up and we grabbed lunch and took it to Elise.  Those girls are so cute and I'm glad they have each other.  They spent a good portion of the lunch plotting ways to spend more time together.  But even that is pretty cute. :)

This wasn't taken today, but I wish I had taken my camera because they sure were stylin' :)

Fun times in our neck of the woods! :)

2 rays of sunshine:

Heather Macbeth said...

It looks like y'all are making some fun memories! I laughed about Merry Grace sitting on the inchworm. So glad it's OK! And I loved doing my homework outside. It makes it so much more enjoyable! You're such a great mom! I always love reading your blog!

sj said...

Always an adventure! Thanks for sharing all the day to day happenings! That helps me feel close even when we're miles away! Love you guys!