Monday, December 18, 2006

random thoughts

i was out really early this morning and caught a little segment on the radio about christmas music and it got me thinking: what are the best and worst christmas songs out there? i have a short list--a couple of my favorites are "o holy night" and "rocking around the christmas tree". two that i absolutely hate are "simply having a wonderful christmas time" and "the christmas shoes". do you guys have any others?

cory and i subbed in nursery yesterday. there are aproximately 15 kids, 12 of them being boys. it was fast, loud, rough, and crazy. the testosterone in the room was almost overwhelming. but we enjoyed it. ian has only a couple of weeks left before moving up to sunbeams. YIKES!

i've been doing laundry today. a lot of laundry. while laundry is not one of my all-time favorite things to do, i love, no, make that adore, getting stains out of clothes. i'm not always great at it, but i love working on it. ian has this white shirt with a daschsand on it. i've gotten ketchup, macaroni and cheese, dirt, spaghetti, and other various and assorted grout and grime from it and as i look at it on him now, it looks as good as new.

there you have it. random.

7 rays of sunshine:

Lisa said...

It's funny, as a read the opening sentence, both of my least favorite songs cam to mind, and they are the same two you chose. "Simply..." has about the worst musical score I have ever heard, not to mention the words. The other, "Christmas Shoes", is about as contrived and manipulative as they come. Blech. You should send me some of your stain remedies. I am completely useless at removing stains. USELESS!

Kristen said...

yeah, those songs are the WORST. i'm sure there are others, but those, well, i think you said it best, "blech".

oh, i love getting out stains. since you asked...=) one key around my house, is keeping it wet. even if i don't get to pretreat it right then, if i at least wet it, that helps. or even handsoap on it immediately seems to make a difference. that, more than anything, is key. "tide to go" is great on the go, just like it says. shout or those things are ok if you have kept the spot wet or soapy. and of course, bleach and bleach alternative are great for really stubborn ones. actually, it CAN be a lot of work to get stains out. i guess its lucky i get a thrill out of it.

Lisa said...

I think my biggest stain hurdle is keeping it wet. I usually will dampen a bad one (I gave up on the kid's long ago) on my clothes, but I often throw it in the hamper and forget about it. Then it gets washed and dried before I even think about it. I need to be more conscientious.

sj said...

I agree on the worst Christmas songs! I like Josh Groban's "O Holy Night" and I like the other one you mentioned, too. I like the Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Cannon (with the Children's voices)and my favorite Christmas hymn is "Silent Night." Oh, and I like that muppet Christmas song about..."put a penny in the old man's hat"...that was on the Christmas one, wasn't it?

About the laundry... I sure do a lot of it and it's actually one of my better household chores. Not that I wake up looking forward to laundry, but it's better than dishes! And I, too, have a knack for getting out stains. Part of it for me is the challenge of it....sort of like "no stain is too tough for me"! I usually have pretty good success, but sometimes I have to treat it, soak it, scrub it (with an old toothbrush), etc.

If Logan reads this, I hope it's not too exciting for him to handle! :)

Unknown said...

Better than dishes? How do you know?

Kristen said...

uh oh. the love boat is gonna rock!

sj said...

The memory is faint, but I can remember doing dishes! :) I think somebody better quit trying to rock it or the laundry woman could go on strike! :)