Wednesday, February 22, 2006

here & there

1--elise's prayer was cute again this morning. she blessed that the eggs would taste good and they "will be cool when we eat them because last time they were hot and burned my mouth."

2--i bought cory some axe body wash a while back. apparently (i have since learned) that is a brand really being targeted toward teenage boys. (there is a warning on the back of the bottle that using the product will result in female attention or something of that sort.) all that is a little bothersome to me. marketing is so annoying sometimes. but....it does smell really, really good! i love getting in the shower after cory & smelling where he has used it. its wonderful!

3--ian is addicted to his tarheel shirt. (the blue one in the pictures below.) now it is not only enough for him to wear it everyday, but as soon as cory gets home from work, the first thing ian says is, "daddy wear tarheel shirt." he will continue repeating this phrase every few minutes until cory puts the shirt on. (and it has to be the matching blue one.) what a trip!

4--what are your thoughts on babies sleeping on their tummies? i know what the medical community says, and i'm all for it. but here's the thing i've discovered...merry grace will sleep about 5-10 minutes if i lay her on her back. no ifs, ands or buts. 5-10 minutes. if i lay her on her stomach she will sleep 2-4 hours. what are your opinions on that? it makes me kind of nervous, but the sleeping is really nice!

5--there are little things i notice everyday now that i'm not pregnant that i love and have missed for so long! i love having cory be able to give me a real hug. i love having the kids be able to sit on my lap...for real! i like shaving my legs without any trouble. i like being able to breathe. i like not having heartburn. i like being able to eat early or late, depending on what i feel like...not having meals be dictated by holding off the nausea. i like wearing (some) of my regular clothes again. i like being able to move around better (like jogging to the car or dashing with ian to the bathroom). i like laying on my stomach or my back if i want to. its little things, i know, but i've missed them!

4 rays of sunshine:

Admin said...

I understand that studies are inconclusive and they keep chaning theirs minds - stomache is good, stomache is bad......

Lisa should know a lot about this. I think we let our babies sleep however they preferred.

sj said...

1 - I like Elise's "plain" talk in her prayer! That's good she feels like she can pray about what's on her mind.

2 - Have you warned Cory about the axe body wash?

3 - Ian is sooo cute about the tarheel shirts...quite a challenge to keep them both washed every day!

4 - About the sleeping position... you're the mom and get to decide this one, but since you asked... if it were me, I would probably not put her on her stomach, unless perhaps I were going to be watching her the whole time. I would most likely put her on either side and maybe sometimes her back. And I have not heard all the latest medical information, so take this for what it's worth.

Lisa said...

Sometimes, I think as mothers, we trrify ourselves over medical advice. I remember when Halle was about seven months old, when she would sleep she would roll onto her stomach (this is extreme be prepared to find out I am crazy) so I would listen for her, even in the night, to roll around, then I would go and put her back on her back. That is how scared I was. I took her in for a fever one day around that time, and mentioned to the doctor that I was having a hard time keeping her on her back, that she kept rolling over...He gave me a look of utter disbelief and said, she is fine. If she is rolling around she is fine, and she is a wiry little girl, so it is highly unlikely that she would become stuck and unabel to breathe. I felt really ridiculous, very unnecessarily tired, and still afraid. I think research is good to a point in making decisions for our kids, but ultimately, research is useless, because with one child percentages don't apply. it is all or nothing. My friend Emily's son would only sleep on his tummy, and he would scoot himself into the corner of the bumper pad, and pull the blanket over his head to sleep, at like three or four onths. This absolutely terrified me. So, in retrospect, I say go with your gut. This is your baby, you know her best. Forget the experts and the research, it's all about getting published in journals and on the news anyway. I recenlty read that most of the research on sleeping position and SIDS was done in low income (I don't know why that always matters...we are low income) homes where one or both parents smoked around the baby. So, I would question its validity in an environment that encourages more healthful lung development. there, now you know i am crazy.

Kristen said...

i'm glad to know i'm not the only one! some of the "new baby insanity" gets better after the first one, but some things never change! i've been paranoid about her sleeping on her stomach, but ultimately i've been letting her. she just seems so much more comfortable that way. i've tried back and side, but she will not stay down for more than five or 10 minutes. EVER! its crazy! i think part of being a parent is worrying about your kids, (and it seems that there is a "worrying gene" that runs in our family...and i have it!) so i guess i'll always worry to some extent. i liked what you (and mama) said, about trusting your intuition as a mother and making decisions for your kids. that's so true. i really trust it in some instances, and yet in others i lose all my confidence. like i think i'm really good about gauging their health. i can almost always tell when they're coming down with something, even before its obvious to anyone else...usually even cory. (maybe that comes from my craziness, too =)

i really do appreciate the insight, though, from you guys. i've really been worrying about what to do!