Saturday, March 07, 2015

Not the toothbrushes again

What is it with toothbrushes around here?


The other day, I was taking a shower.  Paige had come in the bathroom for something and I thought I'd have her hand me my toothbrush and I'd just take care of that while I was getting clean.  She was more than happy to help and began chattering away about how she was big enough to climb up on the sink and reach my toothbrush.  In just a few minutes she handed me my toothbrush and when I glanced down I noticed there was barely any toothpaste on it.  About that time she mentioned how some of the toothpaste had fallen off and she hoped that was ok.  I assured her it was fine, I'd make do and began brushing.  Immediately, I thought something tasted weird.  Like when you drink orange juice after brushing your teeth.  I tried to remember if I'd eaten anything before I got in the shower.  I was deciding whether to just spit it all out and start over, when the odd taste subsided. 

Once I got out, teeth and body clean, I glanced down at the sink and noticed two things.  First, I could see where the toothpaste had fallen off on the counter by the sink and it looked smeared, like someone had tried to salvage it by putting it back on the toothbrush, but that it didn't quite work.  At about the same time, I noticed the toilet bowl cleaner was right there on the sink where the kids had been doing chores earlier and some had spilled out. The toothpaste was streaked and smeared right through it.  Instantly, I knew exactly what that "odd" taste I'd noticed was.  Oh dear.  Apparently in addition to "fighting tartar and whitening teeth", I'd also killed 99.9% of viruses and bacteria and powered through any hard water stains that might have been causing me problems.  

Lesson learned.  Always fix your own toothbrush.

3 rays of sunshine:

Sarah Baird said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I was dying when I read this! That experience will definitely have to go down in Barnett family history.

sj said...

What are the chances? I guess you're just lucky with toothbrushes. :)

Erin Isgett said...

I could only shake my head and smile as I read this...because I could totally see Joshua doing the exact same thing. These kiddos keep us on our toes, don't they? :)