Sunday, May 11, 2014

Motherhood

Mother.  What a beautiful word that is.


Everyone has a Mother.  It's how we came to be.  Her sacrifice to carry us in her body for nine months, her gift of life as she gave birth.  Her sleepless nights.  Her love that put our needs ahead of her own.  We learned about life and love.  She watched us grow, helped us spread our wings, even as her heart ached a little to know that our independence meant a little less dependence.

Only not everyone had that kind of mother.

Some have mothers with whom time has also brought distance. Sometimes physical, sometimes emotional. 

There are others who had that kind of mother, but who has already passed on and left behind a gaping hole where her presence used to be.  

And then there is our own Motherhood.  Precious children who call us Mom. Mommy. Mama. Mother.  We adore and love them with our whole hearts.  We love their kisses, their giggles, their hugs.  They bring a joy that encompasses our soul.  

Only sometimes we are tired.  And exhausted.  Sometimes we yearn for personal space.  Or personal time.  Or less fighting and whining.  And sometimes we lose our patience.  And sometimes we doubt our ability to be the mother we want to be.

And then there are those who don't yet have children and may never have them.  Or women who have children, but yearn for more.  Or who have children they have lost.  Or babies who didn't even make it to birth.  

So this beautiful word--Mother--gets complicated.  And sometimes, this day we set aside to honor this divine calling, brings with it some heartache, in whatever form that might be.  Maybe it's that life didn't turn out the way we thought it would.  Maybe someone is missing who ought to be here.  Maybe cards didn't get made, or gifts bought or thank yous said.

Just as life isn't perfect, neither is Motherhood.  

We have a chalkboard in our kitchen.  I love chalk art and for birthdays and holidays I love to find a quote or saying to honor that occasion.  This morning, I wrote this message on the board, "You are the best mom anyone could ever ask for.  Happy Mother's Day."  And then my kids and a couple of my nephews who were visiting decided they wanted to write on the chalkboard.  



And then it looked like this.  

Oh how this made me laugh!  This is how a LOT of Motherhood is like for me.  It's imperfect, messy and complicated, but somehow still beautiful.  

I hope that tomorrow, despite how complicated Motherhood gets sometimes, that we can see past the heartache and see what being a Mother is all about.  LOVE.  One of my heroes, Marjorie Hinckley, said this, "The trouble with the world and the trouble with you and me is that we don't love each other enough. And if we do, we don't bother to show it, or we don't bother to say it. If the world is to know love, it has to be in your heart and in mine."

So if you have a Mother who you adore, tell her you love her.  If there is a Mother you admire, tell her so.  If there is someone who isn't a Mother in the traditional sense but has Mothered you in some way, tell her thank you.  If there is a Mother who you know is sorrowful, remember her.

I am forever indebted to countless women who have helped me become the woman I am today.  My own dear mother, first and foremost.  My grandmothers, aunts, and cousins.  Church leaders.  Friends.  As I treasure my precious children tomorrow, I honor all those amazing women who have shaped me in some way.  To you I say, "Thank You."

Happy Mother's Day! 


4 rays of sunshine:

Susan said...

Love this, Kristen! Thank you for being a friend who inspires me to be a better mother!

Erin Isgett said...

Beautifully said by one of my friend-mom heroes :)

Kory said...

You are my mom hero too!

And you seriously should get paid for writing, you have such a talent for making the simple sound so beautiful.

I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful. I know mine was!

sj said...

Beautiful thoughts. I love you!