This fall, Elise began working on her first value project as part of the Young Women's Personal Progress program. Her value project has to take at least ten hours and demonstrate the things she's learned. She decided to sew a quilt. We had quilt squares that Cory's sister, Lynetta, had cut out and pieced together from Cory's Dad's clothes. Elise decided to add squares from shirts that came from both my Dad (her Papa) and her own Dad. These are three men that she looks up to and respects and loves. She wanted to honor them and remember them, and what better way than a blanket that basically feels like a big hug.
So we got to work.
I am not a master quilter by any stretch of the imagination, but I have made a few in the past. I at least could help teach her some of the basics.
She started out by cutting the squares she'd need.
Looking so cute while she worked was just a bonus.
She began sewing the squares together, which inevitably leads to ripping some seams apart and resewing them. Fortunately, this didn't happen too many times.
There was a LOT of sewing.
And even more sewing.
What was the most impressive to me, was her "I will do it" attitude. Even when it was hard or frustrating. Even when the deadline for having it finished was approaching and we were getting in a time crunch. Even when I offered to help her along, she said, "No. I will do it. I want to be able to say I did it myself." That was my proudest moment of the project. Knowing that she had realized the value of working hard and seeing the result of that hard work was a great mom moment.
When it was finally finished, it was beautiful. It was beautiful because of what it represented. It was beautiful because of the skills that were learned and the time we shared together. It was beautiful because it was good.
This will be something she will be able to use and treasure for years. And she will be able to look at it proudly because she did it herself.
5 rays of sunshine:
...and it was beautiful because of the love that went into making it!
What a beautiful young women and an fantastic, meaningful project!
maren
I am so proud of Elise and her wonderful mom! Love you both!
My mom made us all blankets out of my grandmother & grandfather's clothes for Christmas this year. It was one of the most special gifts I've ever gotten from someone. I love laying under it and remembering them every time I see it.
She will treasure this always!
Id say I can't believe how beautiful she has gotten but I can believe it! How impressive that she had such a will to do that herself. You have adorable kiddos and you are such an amazing mom.
Post a Comment