Apparently there are people who enjoy my blog besides me. So for those (two) of you who have missed me, here is a new post.
One of the questions I get asked most often is, "How is homeschool going?" I've talked about this to some of you, but since this has been a big part of our lives since August, I figured posting about it here was worthwhile.
I have always loved my kids' time off from school. I loved their breaks and was always sad when it was time to send them back to school. I just like being around my kids. Homeschool really makes that even more possible and I love it. The transition has been easier than I thought it would be, in large part to my experience with Elise last year. I honestly don't know if I could have started out having everyone home. Last year broke me in to the routine, to the loss of free time, and the hard work that went into homeschool. There have still been growing pains and adjustments. Just like anything in life, there are certainly days where I feel like a failure. There are days where things just don't go right. Thankfully, that is not most days. Part of that is just a part of life and not specific to homeschool. Sometimes, no matter what the job or work I'm doing, I feel like I'm not getting it right. I don't want to focus on the negative, but I don't want to completely gloss over it and make it sound like we live a rainbow and unicorns kind of life. I try really hard to look for the good and positive in my life, but we definitely have our share of times where things are not smooth sailing. But I would imagine we can all relate to those feelings and experiences, so I'm not going to focus on those things.
Here is what goes really well that makes me love homeschool.
1. I love that I can see my kids individual strengths better than ever. Elise is a quick and confident learner. She's also a diligent worker who loves learning just for the sake of learning. She doesn't cut corners. She works hard and she works well. Ian has a contagious enthusiasm for learning about things that interest him. He has great memorization abilities and frequently impresses me with things he's learned and remembers. He has great retention. Merry Grace wants to push forward and exceed what is expected of her. If you can spark her interest she will spread her wings and fly. Paige is just learning how to learn in an more structured setting. She loves feeling like she "got" a new concept and if you will just praise her efforts she will work with vigor and vim. I love being able to see this side of their learning. Of course they also have weaknesses, too, which were easily masked in traditional school. But seeing them learn one-on-one has given me a chance to see those as well and give them a chance to grow in the areas they are strong in, as well as improve in the areas they are not so strong in.
2. I love the challenge of figuring out ways to help them learn. I love learning. I love the opportunity to realize that one learns better in a certain way and giving them the opportunity to study and learn in that particular way which best suits them. I love figuring out ways to improve their learning and our time in school together. Sometimes it's as simple as realizing that one child learns better when given a time limit, ones works well independently, one needs guidance in a certain area, one likes learning on the computer and another one in books. It is really neat to see how individual they are and how we can tailor their learning to them as individuals.
3. Along that same line, although we really loved their elementary school, I have realized how ingrained the pattern of public school is in how they learn and often how I tend to teach. I love being able to break away from that. For example, say they do a math lesson, but get several problems wrong, not just from careless or simple mistakes, but from an obvious lack of understanding. In the beginning, they would get upset or stressed if they had to spend longer on a certain concept. In school, you move along at the pace of the class and if you don't, then it indicates that you are "behind". Not getting something is seen as a bad thing, not just a normal part of learning. But not in homeschool. If you don't understand something, then we can spend as long as it takes until you get it. So we don't have to push ahead just to keep on a schedule. Our goal is not a test. We are not trying to get a unit done in X number of days to stay on schedule. Our goal is learning and comprehension and we will do whatever it takes or spend whatever time it takes to make sure that happens. I love tailoring school to the individual.
4. I love having the older kids help the younger kids. I love seeing the older ones learn patience and learn how to teach concepts as they spend time with the younger ones. I love seeing the younger ones bask in attention and praise from the older kids. There is wonderful learning and bonding that takes place when this happens and I love it.
5. I love the flexibility. I love taking a blanket out in the yard and doing school work in the warm fall sunshine. I love being able to choose books to read together, aloud. I love being able to incorporate morals, values and religion into what we learn.
6. Mostly I love our time together. I love how homeschool stretches us as we learn patience, love, encouragement, and happiness as we live together and learn together. It challenges us in many different ways, but I love it and I love seeing how it is making us better. And that it gives us time to do a lot more of this...
It has not always been sunshine and roses. Some days have been hard. Really hard. But it has been wonderful. I am still learning. I have a long way to go. But I am so glad we are getting this experience.


9 rays of sunshine:
As one who assiduously checks your blog for new posts, I thank you for another uplifting and inspiring...and fun...post! I have loved the kids' sharing with me their triumphs!
Kristen, I loved this post SO much! It is such a confirmation to me as I consider the future education of my children. Your children are so blessed to have such a wonderful teacher and mother in you!!
For me and Ben it's not a question of whether or not we'll someday homeschool, it's a matter of when. Now is not the right time, but I don't see it being too far off.
And you're totally spot on about your math example. I homeschooled in middle school to skip that really bad phase among tween girls. Both in elementary school and in high school I would come home and have my dad reteach me everything I ever learned in math. For some reason I just couldn't learn it as quickly as most people and I never understood things the way my teachers taught. Every single night my dad would have to help me see things in a different way and be patient with me until I got it. As time goes by and as my kids get older, I have more and more respect for my parents for homeschooling me (especially while my mom was stake relief society president and had to teach my two sisters as well!) Your kids are going to thank you one day when they see what a sacrifice you've made for them. You're one of my heroes.
Well said! I love this. You guys a doing great.
*are doing great. Teach me not to proofread before posting! Haha.
I didn't know that you homeschooled! Thank you so much for sharing this post.
awesome! i love being able to keep up with you here, so much more depth to your life than FB can share. :) this is why i haven't gotten rid of my blog. it's my journal for my kids!
You can see why I say that I wish I'd found homeschool earlier with you all. I loved being home and all learning together. It really is a special adventure as a family. You guys are doing great!
Thank you so much for sharing! Home school is something I have considered for some time now, I keep adding reasons to the list of why I should home school.
Post a Comment