Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Get Away

A couple of weekends ago, Cory and I were able to sneak away for a couple of days.  We had worked out this weekend trip a couple of months ago, and even though it fell just a couple of days after Grandma's funeral, Cory & I still decided to try it.  It was so refreshing and provided a much needed rest after the emotional and physical strain the last few weeks had brought.

And since we went without the kids, we came back without a single picture.  Somehow, its not as fun to take pictures of just ourselves.  But we had a fantastic time in Williamsburg.  Due to the weather (that was the tornado weekend) we didn't get to tour downtown.  But it was still a lot of fun.  We got coupons to The Salt Spa, which basically amounted to a 45 minute nap in a salt cave.  But that was something we would never do with our kids, so we went for it.  I have to say, it was super relaxing, and even though I am a terrible napper I was able to get a little shut eye.

We also found this cute little restaurant, The 2nd St. Bistro, which we ate at twice because it was so yummy.  Their teriyaki chicken lettuce wraps were to die for!!!  We had fun chatting, reminiscing, and just being together.  We also did some shopping, got pie at the Jamestown Pie Company, slept in, didn't cook, watched a movie, got ready at a leisurely pace, read and relaxed.

We came back refreshed and ready to tackle parenting and the daily routine.  We couldn't have done it without our awesome family--Melissa and Jacob and Neal and Amanda--who took care of our kids like they were their own while we were gone.  And taking four extra kids is no small feat.  We just love them! :)

It may be old, but its a picture of the two of us. :)

1 rays of sunshine:

Heather Macbeth said...

That's so awesome that y'all were able to get away! I think that it's so important for couples to at least have a day away from the kids at least once a year. Good for y'all! Glad you had fun!