while out running errands yesterday i heard an interesting topic being discussed on talk radio. the topic was, "how does a presidential candidate's religion (or lack thereof) influence your vote?" they brought up the issue of mitt romney's candidacy, and how he was having to address questions about his religion. they also brought up the situation that happened out here with john edwards' campaign. two of his paid employees wrote negative and derogatory statements about religion and specifically catholics on their personal blogs. john edwards refused to fire them, although they later resigned. there were many in this area who felt he should have taken stronger action against them, arguing that he would never have tolerated them making racially derogatory comments, so why did he allow the religiously derogatory ones. with those being their talking points, they opened the phone lines. the calls were pretty much all over the map, however most seemed to feel that it was important for a person to be religious and/or have a strong faith in God. there were also many who felt it was important, yet their main concern was that they had a strong moral code which they lived by. several were disgusted that it was an issue at all. one lady, using romney as the example, said she was frustrated that she knew that mitt romney was a mormon, yet had no idea where any of the main candidates stood on border security, homeland security, social security reform or education, and she felt that the media was largely to blame for the hype of the religion issue. others, as you can imagine, had strong feelings about a person's specific religious affiliation, stating that they would not vote for a candidate belonging to certain religious sects. other points brought up were about the difference between someone who was was truly religious, and someone who did it purely for political gain or just the appearance thereof. another one was the difference between being religious and spiritual. it was a very interesting discussion and debate. so what are your thoughts? where do you come down on the issue?
Sarah's Harry Potter Birthday Party
12 years ago

5 rays of sunshine:
The only concern I would have with a politician's religion would be if that religion put him into a position to be sympathetic to concernc outside our country. I think that with the current situation with Muslim terrorists, I would feel uncomfortable completely trusting a Muslim President to make decisions that could potentially harm millions of his faith. I also have mild issues with a woman who is a mother making decisions when it comes to wartime because I know how much my personal ability to "be brave" has changed since I had children. Prior to kids I was much more brave when it came to putting myself in physically dangerous situations because I was my own agent. I would have a hard time deciding in everyone's best interest if it went againsdt the interest of my child. That is the condition of mothers the world over. I think it is a fundamental difference between fathers and mothers. Not easy at all for fathers, but men are more logical and it is easier for them to sort of detach. Some would argue that very point in favor of a woman. Because of the world situation right now, I think I would prefer a man for President, unless it were someone like Condoleeza Rice who hasn't had children. I think that I would support that.
My mom has said that Mitt's biggest hurdle will be the right-wing Christian vote becuase of all the negative ideas about the Mormon church that are actually taugh tfrom the pulpit by the (sorry to say it) leaders. That group is a major part of the Republican voting block. I wonder if the liberal team isn't looking at Mitt as the strongest contender from the Republican perspective on issues. If they are, then the easiest way to sort of oust him is to draw attention to his religion in hopes of ennobling the mormon detractors in the republican party. a lot of people are worried about what this could potentially do to the church as a whole. I personally believe that this is a great way for many many people to be confronted with facts about our faith, to dispel long held, and ridiculous rumors that still circle. We as a people are arguably, along with Muslims and Jews, the most misunderstood and discriminated against of all faiths. This opportunity will allow a lot of that to be fought publicly and, I beleive, effectively by people who will be well informed and capable of presenting the facts in the best possible way. Anyone who says they will not vote for a mormon, truly does not know anything real about the faith. the humanitarian contributions of the church alone are enough to demonstrate who we are as a people.
I am glad we are being given the opportunity to address it on such a large scale. As they say in PR any publicity is good publicity...
Someone suggested the Romney campaign create a slogan of "ask your mormon neighbor" with a website nad to encourage people who are uncertain or have questions to find the people they know who are mormon and have their questions and concerns answered. I think that is a great way to "normalize" us and our faith.
Anyway, that is really a lot of typing...
I think the lady on the radio show made a good point that it is sad that we hear more about Mitt Romney's religion than his political views. Really the only things I know about him are that he's LDS, he headed the 2000 Salt Lake Olympic committee, and two years ago he was pro-choice. I think after the whole Olympic scandal came about I realized that even LDS politicians can be crooked, and they probably are if they're successful politicians. Granted, compared to most of those on Capital Hill, I'm sure they would be among the most ethical and moral politicans around -- but is that really saying anything? Really, how can anyone rise to the level of being a promising presidential candidate in our country without being a little unethical? Yes, I am a little cynical when it comes to politics, but there are just too many bribes and lobbyists and important rich people they need to get money from for me to really believe that any political campaign is run with a lot of integrity. And since I'm a Mormon, I think a Mormon should know better. So, my cynical mind can't help but wonder what it is that Mitt Romney, Orrin Hatch, or any other Mormon in Washington have done in their political maneuverings that they wouldn't want to admit to all the Mormons voting for them.
On my less cynical side, I do think it is good to have an LDS candidate in the spotlight to show everyone that Mormons are normal, just like Lisa said. I wouldn't like to be in Mitt Romney's position where my actions could largely affect public opinion of the church.
What an interesting topic.
Speaking in generalities, I would prefer a president who has high moral character and I think that often equates with religious values. I think the caller made a good point, though, about making religion such a focal point that we might know more about that than where he stands on the issues. Mitt Romney's political aspirations have caused people to think about our religion and maybe ask a few questions and if nothing else, maybe that alone will have a positive impact on the perception people have about mormons and perhaps even make a few want to know more. I think in recent years, especially with Pres. Hinckley, the church has been more visible in a lot of ways and I think that's a good thing.
I agree with SJ and I am proud of her for her brevity. Nate likes to say that no one at that level has any real religious values but I prefer to believe in the indominable human spirit and the inate integrity (aka "Light of Christ") in us all. Although after reading Hillary's biography I may recant that last statement... I can't say I know enough about anyone else to cast my vote just yet. I will let you know.
great comments and thoughts by all.
i have a hard time with politics, because in general i believe people are good so i have a hard time accepting the corruption that seems so prevalent in the political realm.
i think mama had a good point, that while it is their moral code that is the most important, that is often influenced by religion or religious beliefs. their was a study done recently, that religious people were far more charitable than those who were not.
i also agree with lisa, that i would have hesitations if i felt that a person's religion would put them at odds with keeping americans safe.
and, as everyone has stated, i hope that romney's candidacy may open doors to dispel some still widely held beliefs regarding mormons and our religion. that is especially true here in the south. while i am a firm believer that their is no better place on earth than the south (and southern hospitality & southern charm are very real and wonderful), there are also many here who believe preposterous things about other religions, particularly mormonism. and yes, in this area there are many churches who actively preach from their pulpits untruths about us.
this is getting slightly off topic, but what is surprising to me, is that these people who so vehemently dislike our beliefs rarely actually know someone who is LDS or have any idea about what our beliefs are. i recently saw a diane sawyer story of her travels through iran. at one point she was walking through the streets during a political rally as iranians chanted, "we hate americans" or "death to americans" and the like. several times she stopped people and said, "you are chanting that you hate americans and yet I am an american. do you hate me?" each time they would appear confused and even flustered. they would pause. some just said, "no". others began chanting, "we hate george bush." it was such a telling moment for me. i think there are definitely parallels between that incident and the blind hatred, dislike or disapproval of mormonism. i don't expect everyone to agree with everything that i believe in. but the ignorant rants get to me.
Post a Comment