Sunday, September 25, 2005

patterns

cory is one of seven children, four boys, three girls. all the girls have seven letters in their names (like their dad) , all the boys have four (like their mom). so now, six of the seven are married with two children each. the four boys have all had a girl first, then a boy. the two married girls have had two girls. so that means that everyone had a girl first! if you want to get even deeper in to the similiarities, there were 5 of those "first girls" born within about 10 months of each other. the first two were born to cory's sisters and have names beginning with "k". the next three were born to the brothers and have names that start with "e". the "e" girls were also all born on a sunday. weird coincidence or lucky break or whatever, i just think the patterns are neat.

8 rays of sunshine:

Unknown said...

wow, the chances of that happening must be something like one in a million! still very cool to see something like that happen! our family (jarrells that is) dont really have that many patterns, other than ethan is dating lots of girls...and thats pretty typical ethan!...lol. i also think its kinda interesting when best friends marry best friends, just kinda neat!

sj said...

Cool stuff, Kristen.

Lisa said...

Halle and her cousin Abby were both born on friday the thirteenth exactly nine months apart. I guess we know what went on the day Halle was conceived. I also think it is funny that Shawn's brother has two girls named Hannah and Abby, we have two named Halle and Libby. Those names seem similar to me. I wonder if they impacted my choices slightly because it sounded "right" after hearing it so often. Manda and I both end with the same sound, so do nate and daniel.
As far as Jarrell trends there is the whole "n" ending to all the boy names...Adam is similar enough in sound with an m. I still think Kristen subconciously chose Ian because it is the end of her dads name. Adam, I too think it is great when best friends marry best friends. Shawn and I reffered to each other like that. When the friendship is the "best" then all the other attraction takes on a deeper meaning. Kristen was talking about how our boys were born on the same day,and we got engaged the same day, a year apart.
It is funny how similar life can be. I guess I am a little superstitious about the significance of these kind of things. I was really upset when J.Lo and Ben Affleck were goin to get married on our anniversary. I figured that was a really bad sign. Good thing it didn't happen. I guess I have a lot to say. Or maybe another family pattern is that Kristen and I are both weird enough to obsess over these things!

Kristen said...

well, i'm glad to know someone else thinks about those things too! i'm really intrigued by it all. i liked your patterns too. i hadn't thought about how someone else's name might affect my name choice. ian's name does fit in with the "n" ending sound from my family & is close to ethan's name, not to mention the daddy connection, so those may have all been factors in my choice. interesting. i like the best friends thing, too. i also think it's neat when brothers marry sisters, the ultimate being when twin brothers marry twin sisters!

sj said...

And speaking of names, there's the pattern where all the names start with the same letter or the one where they did C's and N's. I think it's just lucky that our last name isn't Gunn or Daddy might have tried to name you guys BB, Machine, Tommy, Staple, etc. :)

Kristen said...

thank goodness! didn't aunt era's kids go down the alphabet: the first one started with A, the second with B....

Lisa said...

I know a family named Tee. They named there son Garren. They almost named him Warren. Poor kid. I also know a firsthand acoount of a poor girl named shi*head. I am not kidding. My friend Sara was in class at UVSC and they were reading through the roll for the first time when the teacher paused and fumbled, finally whispering the common pronunciation of the poor girl's name. She spoke up, very loud and with a life-time of frustration and said, it's shi-thead. Why on earth did the parents do that. Why on earth didn't someone at the hospital mention the possibility with that name? Poor thing.

Kristen said...

wow! someone definitely should have clued those parents in! sometimes a unique spelling or pronunciation can be neat, but other times just strange...or inappropriate! there was a lady in our last ward named Shanon, pronounced like the more common spelling of Shannon. however, her parents had intended her to be Sha-NON, accent on the last syllable. her grandmother is actually the one who began calling her "shanon" saying "sha-non" was "stupid". i imagine that would be a hard pronunciation to keep up once school started anyway. you really do have to think about first/last name combos. i always get a kick out of the "john johnson" or "jack jackson" or "neil mcneil". how original! i guess some people do it intentionally (as in the Tee family) although its hard for me to imagine why. i think a funny joke at your kids expense is just wrong. i feel like a name is such an important part of a kids life. why put them through additional torture! mama & i liked a name from the paper celebrating 4 or 5 generations or something. the youngest was "Johnny Potts IV". it seems like that name would have been retired long before it made it to the fourth!